1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Favorite bassist that isn't a household name

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Apr 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Kip Winger studied classical composition with some of the finest composers in the country. He has literally written symphonies. Not only could he play bass, but he could grab pretty much any instrument on any stage and teach the player his/her parts... all the while disecting the theory behind them.

GonePlaid and steamthief like this.
  2. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would say that the only bass players on Earth who have ever been household names KNOWN FOR PLAYIMG BASS are/were Paul McCartney, Flea, and Sting.

Gene Simmons is a known member of KISS, but you could ask 100 people on the street and they would tell you he plays guitar.

You can ask 10,000 people on the street "Who is Geddy Lee?" and all but one would have no idea.

Larry Graham, if known at all by older soul/funk fans, would be known as the singer of "One in a Million".

A few deadheads might know Phil Lesh plays bass.

The vast majority of people who know Bootsy don't realize he plays bass.

Keanu Reeves is known, of course. But, again, nobody knows he plays bass. Even people who may have seen his band think he plays guitar.

Other than that, there are exactly zero household names in the bass world known for playing bass.

The vast, vast, majority of humans couldn't name 5 people on this list. And even out of those few people, most wouldn't know they play bass.

So, yeah, pretty much any bass player who wasn't with the Beatles could make this list.
    :roflmao:

By the way, your wives/girlfriends don't count. Besides, you've bothered them enough with bass dorkery. Stop it. Go to your room and leave that poor woman alone. She doesn't care about your new pickups or that stupid bass solo on YouTube.

(Not to ignore you ladies here. But you usually don't beat your SOs over the head with your interests. My wife paddle boards. I know she is doing it while I'm kayaking with the kids, and that's about it.):D

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    GonePlaid, Hover-Rich and DD Gunz like this.
  3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    EXCEPT..........
    What if they weren't household names for their bass playing?
    Hulk Hogan
    Keanue Reeves
    Mike Huckabee

........Gene Simmons....... :roflmao:

GonePlaid likes this.
  4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Oops.
    Looks like were thinking the same thing at the same time.

GonePlaid likes this.
  5. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I don't harrass my girlfriend about things bass- I know she doesn't care. If we are in a music store together, she will point at a guitar or bass, and say 'that one's pretty'. I don't correct her that it's a guitar. I love it when people say to her 'You must get to see her live all the time!'. Her reply 'Yeah........ I've seen her'.

GonePlaid, Hover-Rich and two fingers like this.
  6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Exactly how a good bass player SO is supposed to act. :roflmao:

But see what I mean? In general, women just accept that not everyone is into the same things they are. But most men I know are genuinely confused as to why EVERYONE isn't into whatever they are into right now.

Mrs. Fingers does a fantastic job of pretending to give a crap in the music store.... for about 5 minutes. :D

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Bruce Thomas - Elvis Costello
    Tom Hamilton - Aerosmith
    Jimmy Lee Sloas - A long, long list of quality top-drawer A-List sessions: Jimmie Lee Sloas | Credits | AllMusic
    Just click the link, it goes on & on & on. An amazing portfolio.

8. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Sting

9. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I saw a band called Cows once... they open for Primus in Amherst MA. Kinda SKA ... bafefoot singer with sequin suit and a plastic bucket of musical toys.... same band?

10. Hover-Rich

Hover-Rich Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 21, 2018
    Craig, Colorado
    Hover Harness, LLC
    Greg Rzab. Fantastic player.

Edit: Not the best sound on this clip, but ...

11. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Dee Murray

12. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    That sounds like them. They were a noise rock band on Amphetamine Reptile records in the 90s. The bassist played distorted slide bass. The singer was a real nutter, wore mousetraps on his ears and shaving cream on his balls.

13. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Nick Oliveri- Queens of the Stone Age
    Scott Reeder- Kyuss
    Olugbenga Adelekan- Metronomy
    Alex James- Blur
    Mike Kerr- Royal Blood (although I'm not sure he counts on this list)
    The bassist from the White Stripes who played that riff from Seven Nation Army ;)

14. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Not even most bassists know who Scott Edwards is...

15. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Ali Friend. Well, he's kinda known in Europe I guess.

16. kinopah

kinopah Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Two that spring immediately to mind are Michael League of Snarky Pupppy and Pete Shand of the New Mastersounds.

jamro217 likes this.
  17. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
  18. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I know his background, but all that crap on the videos hasn't helped his rep.

19. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Average Joe knows him as a singer, has no idea what he's playing.

20. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    I’ve seen a few bassists mentioned and people think they're household names. But that's because we're bassists. For a test - what's the drummers's name in the same band? IMO, to be a household name, you need your name on the album cover.

GonePlaid likes this.