Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by frost13, Aug 17, 2000.

1. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I dig Ray Brown and Ron Carter....but my all time favorite will always be Scott LaFaro. It's amazing what he accomplished in such a short time.

2. AlexFeldman

AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ray Brown, Oscar Pettiford, Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Scott LaFaro are the oldies I dig.

There's a cat who I believe plays in New York these days... or is it Chicago? :) Anyway, his name is Larry Kohut, and he's been through my way twice with saxophonist Rudy Mahanthappa... I'm totally into this guy's playing. If any of you ever get a chance, check this guy out. He's not a choppy guy, but he's a genuinly friendly guy and a wonderful musician.

3. I'm pretty new to the world of DB--so far I really like Paul Chambers, Scott LaFaro, Edgar Meyer, Eddie Gomez, and Gary Karr....
    "The Arrival of Victor Feldman" with LaFaro is one of my favorite recordings.
    What surprised me is that in a recent Down Beat magazine they listed past Hall of Famers and bassists seem to be woefully underrepresented--Jimmy Blanton, LaFaro, Chambers, Red Mitchell are absent. Mingus and Jaco are in, though.
    How is the Down Beat poll regarded within the jazz community?

4. I rank it right up there with People Magazine.
    The community of players and the community of non-playing afficianados (sp.?) will likely have different opinions.

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Besides those already mentioned (especially Scott LaFaro)...
    I also enjoy Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen. You don't tend to hear much about him....but his playing is outstanding!

6. I just picked up Joel Quarrington's Virtuoso Reality,and it
    was very interesting. His concept of tuning in fifths is
    adventurous, IMO it makes the Bass sound like an oversized Cello,but he is still one of my favorite classical players, Also Jorma Katrama,Thomas Martin,Gary Karr, and
    I really like Edgar Meyers' work as well.
    On the Jazz side, Ray Brown, Oscar Pettiford, Paul Chambers for the old school,Christian Mcbride, Bob Hurst,NHOP for the New School.

7. Deynn - The nasty truth is that jazz musicians fall in and out of favor with the record companies. Years ago, Cecil McBee was everywhere. Then NHOP, then others, now Christian McBride. McBee and NHOP didn't suddenly become bad players

8. I had heard that NHOP was sick for a while, and took a year off.Any truth to this rumour?

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I hadn't hear about him being sick. If it is true, then I hope he is doing well these days.

10. I haven't heard about that, but did anyone ever see a few years back a special - I think it was on Bravo - NHOP with Oscar Peterson and a drummer (forgot who) doing a composition by OP called "Easter Suite"? I think they made a CD of it as well. Very beautiful music with outstanding work by NHOP.

Also, Charlie Haden really does it for me. The Quartet West recordings are great. I get choked up listening to "The Left Hand of God".

In addition, I find that I prefer John Pattitucci and Stanley Clarke's upright playing to their electric playing. Yeah, Stanley's a monster and seemingly most popular for his Alembic driven excursions, but for me his style really brings something special to the acoustic bass.

11. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Thanks Stingray. I was trying earlier to think of Charlie Haden..and for the life of me...I just couldn't remember it. I wonder what else I have forgotten today?....:)

12. My favorite bassest is Joey DeMaio of Manowar.
    The man can play Flight of the Bubblebee and The William Tell Overture on his bass guitar. The man is a god!

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dammit! where's my 8 string. grab his legs don!

seriously, though...

archangel, you are new to talkbass, so i'll give ya a few pointers. first, welcome! :D second, talkbass actually consists of 2 boards, the upright, or Double Bass forum and the electric, or Bass Guitar forum.

the guys on the double bass side get really REEAALLLY cranky when we bring our electric drivel over onto their side of the fence. so for future reference, if you see the little [DB] after the forum/topic title, then only post if you have something Double-bass related to say. otherwise, look for the [BG] forums.

[Edited by john turner on 08-29-2000 at 05:29 PM]

14. Actually, I think you can get the video to that performance. I'll look into it.
    Also, I couldn't agree more about the Charlie Haden thing.
    Just goes to show you that there is beauty in simplicity.

15. Arch - Welcome to Talkbass. I have to confess ignorance of the name you gave. But that's what often happens when a person talks BG to a DB. No sweat. You will find loads of company on the BG side, though.

16. Must....keep....control....!!!! Please at least read the other posts and find out where you are, BG boys!!

17. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Man, Eddie Van Halen can really fly!

Steve Morse from Dixie Dregs is great!

Wait,...... is this a bass forum? My bad.

What the *$%@ is a double bass anyway?

I agree with archangel.....those guys rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    RRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

:(

sorry guys, i try and i try ;) they're just gonna wander in here like bums into a 24 hr mcdonalds. just don't make eye contact, and they'll go away.

19. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Maybe we're runing into a conceptual pb here:

Any dude member that wants to check-out what's new since his last visit is gonna hit the "Members: view new posts since your last visit", and then the site gives several pages of these new posts which are mixed DB and BG posts...

I find this new-post-since-last-visit function quite useful, but I'm annoyed to have to sort-out between DB and BG. So, it could be that excess cross over could be avoided by some cleanning-up of the entry page. Some crossover is good though: I was really amazed by the string soaking procedures of the BG guys.

Take it easy, John.

20. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    JT:

Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. Honestly, I am safe. You can make eye contact. Check out my profile, I am very verticle (i.e. upright).