Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rafterman, Apr 8, 2001.

1. who are your favorite bassist...post as many as you want...but dont make a ridiculous list...mine are:

-Abe Laboriel...but i don't like his technique, hehe
    -Traa (from P.O.D.)
    -Gary Willis
    -Flea, of course
    -Fieldy
    -Sam Rivers...sometimes

that's all that comes to mind right now

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Good thread idea. Original.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Rafter - You really should use the "Search" at the top of the page and use "favorite," or, "favorite basisst" as thekeywording.

The subject has been beaten like a remted mule here.

4. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    Who cares if this subject has been done. It was a while ago and there's not much being spoken of here that's very interesting anyway. If you've already answered in the last thread, don't answer again. Let the poor guy have his thread. Most every thread degenerates into the same "my guy's better than your guy" crap or "my brand of bass is better than yours". Enjoy your thread, Rafter.

5. hey hey hey! No biting heads off here! I won't go for it! hehe.. wait I'm not a moderator! Damn! :D Just search for the old thread and bring it to the top and it'll be easy. Thanks.

6. rickbass

- Because, once you've been around TalkBass awhile, you'll realize that a lot of people with excellent insight and awesome expertise don't respond to threads that are very similar to ones they just participated in a few days ago.

Also, this thread will be probably buried so deep in a few days, that a lot of people who aren't around before that happens won't see it.

I'm trying to help Rafter out.

7. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    "A lot of people with excellent insight and expertise" is debatable. But seriously, I don't think this subject requires any expertise or insights, just opinion. And everyone has one of those. I guess because I didn't put any of those silly icons, my first post was taken seriously.

8. hey why does'nt everyone quit fighting and answer the poor guys question. Although I don't really like any of his choices, except flea. here are my favourites.

geddy lee
    cliff burton
    tommy shannon
    mike gordon
    stefan lessard
    and recently, Dirk Lance

9. rickbass

Okay, that's true.

Now, let me try this - Odds are Rafter isn't going to get much response, ESPECIALLY from the vets (i.e., have heard/seen many bassists over time; the response so far bears that out. It's pathetic compared to similar, past threads).

So, while "everyone may have one of those," they sure aren't showing up. Look at what Angus said to bear that out.

10. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I noticed there's not alot of posts about victor wooten here. Is there some kind of inside thing going on in this community where vic is taboo or something ?

11. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Sam Rivers
    Shavo Odijian
    Chi Cheng
    Ryknow
    Fieldy
    Tim C

12. nymph

nymph

Mar 16, 2001
    Bucyrus Ohio
    here are my choices

Cliff Burton
    Steve Lawson
    Weezer
    Duff Mckegan
    Fieldy
    and Jason Newsted even though he did make a stupid decision he is a good guitarest.

13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Some of my favs..
    John Myung
    Jaco Pastorius
    P-Nut
    Victor Wooten
    Les Claypool

14. Les Claypool
    Victor Wooten
    Jaco Pastorious
    John Myung
    John Patitucci
    Cliff Burton
    Flea
    and of course myself

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Just take a look at my profile. The list is not in any particular order. :)

16. heres my list

Les Claypool
    Flea
    Stanley Clarke
    Victor Wooten
    Timmy C
    Cliff Burton
    P-Nut
    Geddy Lee
    Chi Chang
    Fieldy
    Peter Hook

17. tom hamilton (spare me your insults)
    duff
    cliff burton (anesthesia is why i got a bass)
    jason newsted

...damn my brain froze up. i know there's more but this will do

oh, and to a lesser extent:
    jimmy page and jimi hendrix (they did play bass at points!)

18. D.J

D.J

Jan 31, 2000

I think Tom Hamilton is a very good bass player(very underrated too).

19. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    god some of you are just listing as many bloody nu-metal bands as possible - the bassists from those bands probably don't even inspire you at all ! you don't even know anything about them ! like the guy who went, "oh, and whoever Linkin Park's bassist is" .. that's just sad, man. what kinda bass players are we all being weened on in this day and age ?!
    i'm only 16 and i can fully appreciate the likes of Jamerson, Pastorius, Laboriel (insane player !!), Patitucci and Wooten. Stu Hamm is a nutter as well, bringing his piano mentality to the bass.
    Just my .000001 cent .. if i was a bit of a dickhead, i'm sorry - all this new "music" that's coming out is starting to sh*t me :(