1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite/Best SVT sim?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pilotjones, Oct 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    One time about two years ago, I played at a rehearsal studio, through an SVT. Bass straight in, playing classic rock stuff. And, it was freaking fantastic. There was just a bit of crunch or bite to it that made everything sing when I raised my bass volume a bit, without fuzzing out and being lost in the guitars.

So, not wanting to lug around a thousand pound tube amp, I'm asking — what stomp box, or multi-effect, have you found that can do this best?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Best, cost is of no concern option is either an AX8 or Axe-Fx II from Fractal. Not much cheaper than an SVT, and you'll have other questions to sort out in short order when going with a modeler in regards to amplification then.

My next question was... what cab were you playing through? The 8x10 plays a rather large part in the overall SVT tone.

Before I went with modeler, I had pretty good results with a SVT7PRO, but, I'm sure a lot more people with experience beyond what I've had will come in with more, and perhaps better options.

pilotjones likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well bearing in mind that none of them are an actual substitute for the real thing, if you're looking for something not too expensive, the best ones I've used are the Tech 21 VT and the Ampeg SCR-DI. There are differences with their clean sounds...the SCR-DI is easier to dial in and cleaner and clearer than the VT, but the VT does has more versatility with dirt sounds and has more of that "mic'ed cab" sound than the Ampeg. Both sound like what I like about Ampeg, though. Just depends on what you're looking for.

4. ThrewSilver

ThrewSilver Inactive

Apr 11, 2017
    Yeah the Tech 21 VT-DI worked brilliantly for me for about 2 years. I've recently changed things up and sold it but I have a smaller secondary board with the VT Deluxe and that's a monster with the 6 available presets.

superdick2112 and pilotjones like this.
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yes, the cab could have a lot to do with what I heard too, along with the amp breakup. On gigs I have a Markbass 2x10 combo, which is not exactly a flat response cab, although the amp itself has a fair amount of tone control for correction. For some rehearsals I'm using the rehearsal studio's gear, which is typically a GK or Hartke head into an unknown 4x10 or 2x10 + 18.

Maybe we can get a little more philosophical here and discuss - what are people's impressions on using cab sims, given that the cab-simulated sound, even if it is sent to a straight linear hifi PA power amp, is then going to another, real-life cab? I mean I can see the obvious use of cab, and acab-and-mic sims when recording straight to the board, but what about live? Don't you get a double dose of weird cab nonlinearities, and does it make it better to skip the cab-and-mic sims?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If you have no PA, no need for a cab Sim

pilotjones likes this.
  7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Most folks who move into the modeling realm go down one of these two paths... the first path being the more common:
    Path 1) Get a modeler setup and use "FRFR" cabs -- Full Range, Flat Response -- for monitoring on stage (or IEMs). This will let the color of the modeled cab come through without additional coloration from a traditional cab.
    Path 2) Get a modeler setup and use traditional cabs. In this scenario, most often the cab models will be disabled for on-stage monitor, but still enabled for FOH

pilotjones and kap'n kro like this.
  8. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    When using a speaker sim - or any other "sim" with a given setup, it also pays to know what's going on under the hood as best as possible so that you can get an idea as to how it'll interact with your gear. For instance, see the images below for a VT Bass DI that I saved from here (saved, because it's a great resource, and the pictures frequently go down, like they are right now). All credit to the author of that thread. It's a companion piece to this thread here, but unlike that one, the shots below were done with a VTDI which allows you to selectively disable certain circuits like the speaker sim and "bite".

Reference screens from VT Bass DI Analysis by bassic.de member "fiss-a-wiss":

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Excellent stuff, kap'n and fiss! I've seen other such graphs of VT products and they all look about the same when set the same way so this is just more confirmation. Can't speak to the other products except it and the Ampeg, but I don't think the Ampeg has a speaker sim...there is a highs cut around the 5k mark, and I don't know if the lows get any treatment, but it sounds less "stepped on" than the VT. That said, the VT steps on your sound in a very Ampeg way :D and I do like it better than using some of the amps I get stuck with on my backlined gigs.

Pilot, I didn't get to elaborate earlier because I was on a gig, but the only reason I use cab sims or high/low pass filters is for the PA, otherwise I'd just turn the tweeter off in my cabs that have tweeters and not worry about them. The difference between using a cab sim into an amp and cab and not using it into an amp and cab is pretty subtle, but I do notice it with the VT into my rig. That's why I switched to using low and high pass filters and save the SCR or VT for gigs where I need a small get-in get-out box. They're transparent except for the frequency cuts that match my tweeterless cabs and sounds close enough to what's coming out of my cab for the DI.

pilotjones likes this.
  10. This is just wrong, guitar / bass cabs are not full frequency response (atleast guitar cabs and the bass cabs people use with drives) where as a PA is full range, its the high end roll off on the guitar / bass cabs that make them sound good with drive and is the reason some don't

11. My answer involves 3 pedals, so for the actual Ampeg sound i'm using a VT Bass V2 (one of the old ones from before they were a DI), but I don't like its drive circuit that much so i'm running it into a Two Notes Le Bass which is adding the overdrive. In reality my Le Bass is my always on then I just switch in the VT Bass when I want the ampeg sound.

Part 3 is the cab sim, I haven't tried the one on the VT Bass but before I had it the one on the Two Notes Le Bass was too dark for my liking (but might do the ampeg sound well) so I bought a Neunaber Iconoclast and use that as my cabsim. My Markbass rig is pretty clean and drives don't sound good through it so I also run with the cabsim on into my amp with my speaker cab it sounds better that way.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm going to excuse your attempt to school me because it's obvious you thought I said the exact opposite of what I said, and I can't lie...I've done it before, too.

Jinglesmeowmeow and johnk_10 like this.
  13. My bad I did too :) having said that I like my cleans really clean so I have a really clean Mark Bass amp and cab, so when I'm playing with drive even straight into a amp with no PA I still run through a cabsim its there always on with my board. Now if you were playing through a Ampeg cab you wouldn't need it.

JimmyM likes this.