Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite "Big" Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by klorence, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Eden 410 XLT

15 vote(s)
    11.2%
  2. Eden 410 XST

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Epifani UL-410

10 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. MarkBass 410

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Schroeder 410

7 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. Schroeder 21012

14 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. SWR Goliath III

7 vote(s)
    5.2%
  8. Bergantino HT322

11 vote(s)
    8.2%
  9. Bergantino HT310

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  10. Avatar/Dr. Bass 410

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  11. I hate tens!!!

8 vote(s)
    6.0%
  12. I love tens - but why are there 12's in there?

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  13. Other

42 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If you had to choose one - and only one - 4x10-sized cab as your favorite - which would you choose, and why?

Things to consider:

• Sound (both live/practice, big/small rooms)
    • Versatility (works for you in ALL styles of music that you play)
    • Weight (lighter is better!)
    • Price (lower is better, but not sacrificing quality)
    • Portability (smaller is better, but not compromising sound)

This may have been done already - Tom Bowlus & others have done very detailed & informative shootouts of smaller cabs - not sure if anyone's done bigger boxes.

I'm interested in seeing which of these comes out on top. Feel free to add your own suggestions if you chose "Other"; but please keep them in the same genre/description (sized approximately like a 'standard' 4x10 cab. Please - no "Get two 2x10's!"

I wanna see which bigger box bests the best! :bassist:

2. No surprise here... The Epifani410UL....

Reasons:

- One of the lightest 'big' cabs out there (57 pounds)
    - Very good efficiency... lot's of sound per watt
    - Incredible clarity in the upper mids and treble
    - Very tight, usable bottom... not overly extended like some big cabs
    - Comes in 4ohm version (most do now... but some still do not)
    - Selling price is not out of line with other high end large cabs

For pop/funk/jazz/fusion... any music that requires an articulate, precise tone.. this cab is IT.

PS I have not had the chance to try the Schroeder Lights... I'm thinking the 21012 could be the 'rock' equivalent of the 410UL... we will see:bassist:

3. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Holy heck, Ken - that took you all of 3 minutes! :D

4. I'm waiting for a data set to be delivered and killing time! Plus, when it comes to the Epi410UL... I'm quick on the draw!:D

5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I voted 'other'...

I have a D410XLT up for sale... excellent cabinet, but I don't need it anymore. I've had a Berg NV215 for just about a year now, and last month I received my NV425. Whenever I can, I pair these two cabs up with my DB750...

Imagine... 3 x 15"s & 3 x 10"s..... :eek:

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Other - tech soundsystems ND410

[​IMG]

Light on weight, not on sound. Honestly the greatest cabs ever imho. Oh and look at that frequency response for the low end, that cab goes lower than an ampeg 1x18 :D. And their 1x18 + 1x10 goes to 22hz :oops:. Having played one, I can tell you that the 410 has no difficulty at all with a low B or a high C. It just destroys everything and is brutally loud even when driven from lower powered amps.

7. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ack!

I've been trying to ignore Tech since I on't think they're available stateside...

but you're right - specs look killer, anyway, on a lot of their stuff.

8. I thought there was a rule around here that there had to be a carrots option or else it would be delted by the mods?!?!:ninja:

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I voted for the HT322, but since weight is an issue, I'm going to have to also encourage you to check out the UL410 and the EA NM-410. I have not heard either of them, though, which is why I went with the HT322 (though admittedly, it is not a "ightweight" cab).

But from what I hear, both the UL410 and NM-410 should be very strong contenders. I hope to hear Ken's UL410 soon! :)

Another option is the Accugroove Whappo, Jr. It is my favorite of the Accugroove cabs, and it is surprisingly light for its size. It is very full sounding, but perhaps a bit too tame on the high end for all kinds of music.

Tom.

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have a 322 and a epi 410ul and have played all on the list except the avatar, mark bass and berg ht310.

I pick the berg ht322, Ive said it many times but to me, the 322 is the best single cab Ive played through. Big on the low end, nice tight mids and the best top end of any cab. jmo

FWIW, I play rock of all kinds, country and I use 5 string basses.

11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Sonically for me two of my favorites are the HT310 and the aguilar 410 (which you don't have listed). The Berg lacks volume. Very balanced, but if I had to have 1 cab it probably wouldn't be the best for everything. The aguilar is very loud, but not as smooth as the berg.

The best compromise is the Epifani UL. It's a great sounding cabinet and I can't think of ANYTHING bad about it. Love the sound, and it works for most styles of music I play

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I own the HT310. The low frequency response of this cabinet is incredible even with 5-string, and it gets pretty darn loud for having three tens instead of four.

I've heard so many great reports about the HT322 I'd probably go with that one if I had it to do over again... I don't think it was available when I got my HT310. But I love my HT310 too much to trade it in on anything else.

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For what you have listed my favorite is the HT322. My personal favorite is by far the IP212, although I never got to hear the IP322 that Tom ended up with. The IP212 is my dream cab though. Add to that a Millennia TD-1 and I'd be the absolute happiest bass player on the planet.

14. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Those cabs aern't really "big" cabs. Big cabs would be 8x10,
    6x10, 2x15, 4x15, 4x12, 6x15, 6x12. Those are big cabs I wish Epiphani made an 8x10UL. That cab would kick ass

15. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
    I thought we were talking Cerwin Vega, or something else that really puts the party in my pants leg. Other. :D

16. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Now you're talkin'... Giant wooden bins with 15-inchers stacked on top of a couple of 18-inchers... driven by a pair of heavy-duty Crown amps... :bag:

17. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    At 98 pounds of sheer joy, I go with my ASS-whuppin' GS410. It will smack the TASTE out yo MOUTH!

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I've owned the Bergantino HT322 -- excellent all-around cab!

I currently own a Schroeder 410 (regular, not the light version just coming out) -- tonally, right up my alley, compact for a 410, about 85 lbs, fairly efficient and projects really well.

I have heard the Berg HT310 and came "||" that close to buying one (instead of the HT322) -- very balanced and very musical sounding cabinet (but with an organic-vintage sort of modern, tube laced tone - difficult to describe).

I haven't heard a lot of other hi-end bass cabs, but I'd sure like to.

I think a Bergantino IP310 would be at the top of my list if I could afford one.

For less money, the new light versions of the Schroeder 410 and 21012 would be very much worth checking out.

19. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
  20. Peavey 410tx....not light, SWR goliath II design, but with that peavey "withstand an atomic blast" build quality..it is a sorta compact 410, smaller than a few ive seen, although you can only get em seccond hand, i paid $500aus for mine and its got the ultimate lows and ultimate highs
    [​IMG]