Favorite Body Shape?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by squierplayer120, Dec 15, 2004.

1. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    I'm building a bass, and i'm still deciding on body shape. My first choice is a Telecaster (g****r) body. Any other suggestions?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    ... I like my thumb :p.
  3. A Rickenbacker body would be my choice. They are just so great looking, and a classic look that is very unique.
  4. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    C'mon, you know you want to make an Auerswald Cleo :D

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    +1 I love Rick shapes!

I'm a huge fan of Bee Bass single cuts, FBasses (especially the Caron sixer), and the Benavente singlecuts.

On guitars, I'm a HUGE fan of all PRS shapes.
  6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Forget about it. Mike Tobias makes the sexiest bass on the planet, period. MTD 535 baby. Its ALL GOOD.
  7. tater tot

tater tot

Dec 4, 2004
    its not high fassion but its classic, i love it so its my pick
  8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I think that the short upper horn of the Tele shape will give some serious neck diving problems.

I vote for the MTD shape. Soooo sexy !!
  9. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    What the F**K is that? That looks like a fully realized CAD reject. The uglier it is, the better it plays so that probably sounds like GOD.

Anyway, I actually like the more rounded look of the Tobias Toby line rather than the MTDs. I also like that honkin J Tenor Bass of Wooten's.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I really dig the shape of my F Bass. I also like the Warwick Streamers/Spector shape.
  11. JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    I love the J and P classic contour body shapes.
  12. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
  13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    My new girlfriend.....definitly no neck diving problems
  15. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I absolutely LOVE the contours of a Warwick Streamer. And IMO, there is a HUGE difference between a Streamer and a Spector NS, though a lot of people think they're the same or whatever.

I've also always been a huge fan of the Warwick Fortress body style, though I've never had one. :(

I strongly dislike the looks of Warwick's Buzzard, Vampyre, Katana, and Dolphin lines. And I could take or leave the Infinity. But the Corvettes, Thumbs, Streamers, and Fortresses are some of my favorite basses in the world.

Other dislikes: I personally don't like the looks of a single cut at all, and have never been a big fan of basses with 4 or 5 inline headstocks. Fenders like that are alright, but I look at Carvin and Jackson style 4-string headstocks and it ruins the whole look of the bass for me. I like the look of a 2+2 or 3+2 headstock. Not a big fan of 3+1 or 4+1 headstocks. Never really dug MusicMan basses at all. They look too bulky to me. I don't like Laklands because of the goofy oval bridge plate. I also really can't stand the viola style basses, sorry Paul! haha

As far as finishes go, I really don't like quilt tops and am not that into flame tops either. I like a lot of natural woodgrain with oil finishes, which is why I've always been drawn to the visual aspect of Warwicks.

Overall, I think a headstock can make or break a bass, and there are a lot of basses out there I would never play just because of ugly headstocks. I always had a thing for Tobias headstocks, and just Tobias styling in general. Too bad they're horrible nowadays.
  16. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Amen to the warwicks.
  17. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    THAT'S TIGHT!!!!
  18. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    The MTD looks good. Thanks for the tip about the neck dive.