1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Favorite Boss pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tplyons, Apr 1, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    One thing I've always noticed, no matter how fancy one's pedalboards are, there's usually a BOSS box on there somewhere. What's your favorite?

I love the BF-2. As far as I'm concerned there's no better Flanger out there.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I guess TU-2 doesn't count? :)
    Apart from that, I'm with you on the BF-2

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I say the TU-2 does count since it is the only pedal that I take to every practice and every gig.

While I do not use many pedals I am a fan of Boss pedals. They are a good price and very reliable.

I think musicians tend to get too caught up in subtle nuances of tone that are lost in a live situation. I know I am a huge culprit. So while the Boss pedals aren't really the *best* at anything, they tend to do the job well.

Note: "subtle nuances of tone" would be a great name for a band.

4. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    i love my boss syb-5. gotta love those synthy sounds.

5. OK, you can say I shouldn't comment as I've never used a boss pedal with a bass, but in my former life, as a guitarist, I had loads of boss pedals. Why? Because they are the most unreliable, break every thiry seconds, pieces of tin I've ever come across.

An exchange from about two years ago: we were in a practice one day and my distort gave out. I took it to chris (the owner, really a great guy and knows his stuff).
    Me: My distort's just, well, dead.
    Chris: That's a boss. How long you had it?
    Me: Only about a year.
    Chris: You're lucky it made it this far. Buy a rat.

Actually I already had a rat. I'd only got the boss because I heard that they make great pedals. I dug it out and it did me proud. It still works, and it's at least 12 years old (I got it from a guy who new the guy he got it off, so I got some back history). Sorry, a bit of a rant, but I've found boss pedals to be a pain in the sitting organ.

6. i am very happy with my ODB-3

other pedals i really like are is the DD6 (or DD20 but i don't know if double pedals count :)) and i am interested in trying some of their earlier pedals, like the spectrum and the purcussion simulator

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    CEB-3: It thickens up my sound like crazy. And, when I want to sound like a guitar: Uni-Boss, Baby!!! :D :bassist:

Nice rant! I've never had any problems with my boss FX, and some of them I've owned for almost 3 years, so I don't know what the hell was wrong with yours :eek:

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I love boss pedals, and have several.

I guess if I were to pick only one, I'd have to think about the "there's nothing else like it"-factor, and pick the NS-2 noise supressor - it's a remote-sensing expander-gate. It lets me dial-up RADICAL settings on my other Boss and non-Boss pedals, that I'd never be able to use without it!

More gain! More treble! More everything!..

Joe

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    See? What'd I tell you?

Joe (INVENTOR of the "Uniboss Method" - my first 'claim to fame' in the Effects Forum)

10. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    BF-2. Hands down.

TU-2 gets a serious nod, because everywhere my bass goes, it goes as well.

11. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
    I´ve used a vintage Boss Chorus Ensemble a lot while I was playing the fretted bass and can say all the best about it. Now for some years I play only the fretless, which I don´t find too compatible with the chorus, so I stopped using the pedal. Anyway, it´s a very good pedal. I never tested the newer ones, though, and cannot say anything about them. Some friends say it can´t compare to the old ones, but maybe it´s just a metter of taste.

12. i love my DS-1 pedal for more bass growl or heavy distortion, a great pedal i would say

13. another vote for the ceb 3 :)

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

what the?

chorus and fretless basses go together like bread and lunch meat! :eek:

i really like my DD3. :cool:

15. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    With all this talk of the BF-2... A GC near me has a used one for sale for $40--even though I already have a BF-3, I think I'm gonna go pick it up.

But my favorite Boss right now would be the BF-3. Can do loads of stuff with it.

Also, Lord Henry--I've never known *anyone* who's had the slightest problem with any Boss pedals. (A RAT on the other hand, I've got one, that thing went out pretty quick...) I've had my OBD-3 for a few years now, I beat the **** out of it, it still works great. Since you've apparently only tried one Boss, I think it's a little unfair to judge them so harshly :)

-Dash

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    TR-2!!!

17. percussion simulator, eh?

18. lsdn

lsdn

Sep 6, 2003
    padova (italy)
    TW-1 and OC-2 (running in parallel via a Switchblade GL).

I often use this solution when I play in the upper register.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm surprised to hear that you guys have had problems with BOSS pedals, I've really found them to be quite reliable, and great for the moolah.

20. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    CEB-3...

Other than my TU-2, it's the only BOSS pedal I have left onmy Pedal Board.