Favorite Chicago/Cetera studio bass performance?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 2112, Feb 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Transit Authority

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. II

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. III

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. V

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. VI

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. VII

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. VIII

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. X

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. XI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Hot Streets

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  11. 13

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. XIV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 16

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 17

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    The Peter Cetera Fan Club is a very silent group, I've always kinda wondered what they thought about where his best studio work lives.

For me, it's on Hot Streets. This is bittersweet, because it was their first post-Terry Kath release. Not sure if Cetera was working harder-than-normal to fill that unimaginably enormous gap, but it seems like he was so much more up-front than on all the other albums... so much support, so many cool licks just everywhere, and all tasteful.

2. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I was never much of a post-Kath Chicago fan, but I think their first four studio albums are absolutely incredible, especially when you consider that the first three were double LPs released in a two year period--6 albums of great material in less that 24 months. Is there another band that had a similar explosion of output?

Hard to pick a "best" for Cetera, but I picked the first album mostly for that opening riff on I'm a Man.

JimK, guitarflinger and 2112 like this.
  3. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Agreed their first 4 studios are among my favorite albums of all time, and not only were the first 3 doubles done in 24 months, but they were all so solid... just unmatchable work!

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    CTA.

For the jams, especially backing TK's awesome guitar work with great melodic lines.

Def opened my ears.

I was fortunate to have played in a rockin' horn band for a couple of years that covered a bunch of their tunes from I and II. :thumbsup: I copped his clean tone by using a pick and gigging a Fender Jazz into a Sunn 2000s with JBLs.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    basses55 and 2112 like this.
  5. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    So here's a technical question I've always pondered. At the beginning of "Listen," Kath hits a note that is sustained for 14 measures. How'd he do that?

2112 likes this.
  6. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Plucked the string really hard? A delay effect?

2112 likes this.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Probably something he learned to do when experimenting with Free Form Guitar.

He used preamp distortion into the board and/or his rig, IIRC. And Probably a studio compressor.

ghostinthemach, JimK and 2112 like this.
  8. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    I used to do it with my Les Paul, and a 4 x 12 Acoustic. You simply touch the head of the guitar to the speaker mounting board, and BINGO!! Instant feedback! I think I was using an Eectro-Harmonix distortion box, but that's all.

FingerDub, JimK and 2112 like this.
  9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Posting this one because it may be...obscure?
    My senior year/high school (1975), a local horn band played this at a dance & they nailed it. Loved it ever since.

FYI: LeeNunn has a transcription in the Tablature & Notation Forum.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Their debut would be a desert island album for me. Side A is just a killer...then Side B opens with "Questions 67 & 68".

jerry and 2112 like this.
  11. Plus a bit of acoustic feedback probably

2112 likes this.
  12. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I was listening to the second album last week because I bought the remix version, awesome playing on the whole disc.

2112 and JimK like this.
  13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    While "What is the World Coming too" is probably my favorite of all of Peter Cetera's parts. Chicago V to me is the opus of Cetera's playing, Dialogue, State of the Union, While the City Sleeps, Saturday in the Park And Hit by Varese and All is well are all magnificent bass lines.

theox905, jerry, 2112 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    CTA (first album) has some killer bass lines in it. That gets my vote.

2112 likes this.
  15. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Passenger, Ship of Fools

Sep 18, 2007
    Chicago V because I was always smitten by Dialogue I and II.

josephbass86, theox905 and 2112 like this.
  16. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Has anyone ever noticed how much the lead singer of Survivor sounds like Peter Cetera on "Eye of the Tiger"?

I really admire his work with Chicago. I particular like his later years with the band, just before he left. Or should I say the second half of his Chicago period.

2112 likes this.
  17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...another somewhat obscure one-

Jammin'!

theox905 likes this.
  18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Apparently,, this is the 1st L&F cover...and it grew from there. Leonid on keys.