Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Christmas albums?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Dec 8, 2001.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, it's that time of year again. Dig out those holiday albums!

The classics at my house when I was growing up were John Denver and the Muppets and the Andy Williams Christmas Album. Call me a nerd, but I find myself to be the only student on my floor listening to Andy Williams... ah well.

I'll be getting the Harry Connick Jr. Christmas CD soon. Great voice.

So how bout it? Any seasonal music tickle your fancy?

2. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I like the Larry Carlton seasonal album, "Christmas at my home". If memory serves, Neil Stubenhaus on bass with an awesome "modern" tone. Buttery goodness with a nice clean edge on the top end.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Classics-
    Nat King Cole-The Chirstmas Song
    Vince Guaraldi-A Charlie Brown Christmas
    Tchaikovsky-The Nutcraker Suite(conducted by Vladamir Ashkenazy).

Others-
    Jingle Bell Jazz-
    Assorted Acoustic Jazz selections(Miles, Dexter Gordon, Arthur Blythe, McCoy Tyner, Herbie, Duke, etc).

GRP Christmas, especially Volume 1(White cover)-
    This disc, from '88, has some Latin-ized grooves(Dave Valentin doing "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"; Eddie Daniels doing "Sleigh Ride").
    Also, The Chick Corea Electrik Band ripping through "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen" is cool(IMO).

Take 6-He Is Christmas
    Beautiful a capella stuff PLUS a very happenin' version of "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen" with The Yellowjackets(Haslip takes a short solo; there's some cool scattin', also).

Chicago-XXV
    One of my recent pickups; the Christmas album of the now slickly produced '70s horn band. Easy listening & enjoyable(IMO).

...one of my all-time favorite Christmas tunes is The Carpenters' "Merry Christmas, Darling"(what can I say, brings back memories of 'happier' times).
    Also, Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas".

4. the ren and stimpy christmas classic cd.

it includes classics like "We Wish You A Hairy Chestwig," and "Cat Hairballs." fun for the whole family.

5. Gotta second the choice for John Denver and the Muppets. Track 4 - Christmas is Coming... Man, does Ms. Piggy break it down!!

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm a big pushover for Christmas music. I start listening to it on Thanksgiving Day, all the way through Christmas morning. But , strangely, as soon as the gifts are opened, I don't want any more Christmas music until the next Thanksgiving.

Some old favorites:
    Ray Coniff, Johnny Mathis, Andy Williams, Percy Faith, Nat King Cole, Bert Kamphfert, Jingle Bell Jazz and a Music Box Christmas.

New favorites:
    John Tesh, "A Romantic Christmas",
    Boston Pops, "Holiday Pops"
    David Benoit, "Remembering Christmas"
    Boney James. "Boney's Funky Christmas"
    The Manhattan Transfer, "The Christmas Album"
    Various jazz artists, "Jazz to the World"
    Chicago, "The Christmas Album"
    Kenny G, "Faith" and "Miracles"
    Celine Deion, "These Are Special Times"
    Danny Wright, "Christmas by Candlelight"
    Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker"
    Mannheim SteamRoller...all albums

8. The second Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CD.

"A Charlie Brown Christmas: Vince Guaraldi Trio"...probably my favorite. Great stuff, and not too "Ho-ho-ho"-ey.

9. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Phil Spector's Christmas album is genius! The Wrecking Crew and hid stable of great singers wailing on some serious tunes. I listen to it every year.

10. [​IMG]

11. [​IMG]

:D

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I scary part is, I know that's not a joke... I wish I could see the Star Wars Christmas special they had on TV. It must have been amusing.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got this one on CD! :eek:

Oh, it's so bad.

14. Yeah it's pretty awful!

You can buy it or just laugh at the sound clips on amazon.com:

SW Christmas

15. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Mr. Hankey's Chrismas Classics
    Merry Axemas
    A Soulful Christmas

16. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Charlie Brown Christmas
    Anything by Bing, Dean Martin, or Nat King Cole
    John Denver and the Muppets Christmas

17. They all suck in no small way, but I guess the Beach Boys christmas album and Elvis' christmas albums are better then most.
    Jim

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I basically hate anything that is an "Xmas Special" or similar and it makes me cringe and want to get away - like "lift music"! ;)

But I do like to hear things like Bach's "Magnificat" - brings back memories of singing this in my school choir at Christmas concerts.

19. Another vote for Nat King Cole.

And remember the Reason for the Season!

20. how about james brown's funky chritsmas? i myself don't have it but maybe one of you sick wierdos does.