1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite city or town in California, USA?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 16, 2018.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

What is your favorite city or town in California, USA?

I've really enjoyed my visits to Huntington Beach. Such a fun town with a beautiful coast line, I would love to live there one day.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Idyllwild.
    My aunt's took us camping there when I was a child.

-Mike

3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Can’t pick just one, there’s too much uniqueness, but I favor coastal towns; there’s a whole series of places in north San Diego county—-Torrey Pines, Del Mar, Cardiff, Solana Beach, Carlsbad; for OC, Laguna Beach is just breathtaking, but I’d never be able to afford it. Then going way up north, Santa Barbara, SLO, Big Sur/Carmel, Half Moon Bay, Pacifica. Where I am now, Yucca Valley, I’m not so thrilled with, but my wife(and I)had to tend to elder care responsibilities, so be it. I’m pretty much over the desert, nice place to visit, but...
    Redlands, a college town on the edge of Riverside, has a cool vibe, but even if we had to be in the greater LA area again, I’d be comfortable with Burbank, or up in the mountains in La Canada/Flintridge/Tujunga.

alanloomis1980 and kesslari like this.
  4. Santa Barbra and San Francisco are mine.

kesslari likes this.
  5. 0658296_CA_Port_Hueneme.

6. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've only been in the south half of the state (Merced was the furthest north), but I'm a fan of the Carlsbad/Oceanside area. Big enough to have all you'd need, but not quite the crowded metropolitan areas of LA and SD.

7. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    That was a tough one. I remember liking San Diego which doesn't make sense for we really didn't check out the area. I know I liked San Francisco but didn't like getting hit on by guys (no offense to anyone) and the hills which was a b**** because we were driving a really old Toyota with no power steering. Then there is the earth quakes which scares the crap out of me.

I have to say then, my favorite was Venice Beach for many reasons especially the ladies there: HAVE MERCY!

8. Having lived in the SF Bay Area most of my life....

I would go with Chico. It's a mixed College town & farm ing community.

Otherwise, I would have to pretty much anyplace NOT the SF Bay Area and NOT the Greater Los Angeles Area.

edg

MJ5150 likes this.
  9. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Pacific Grove in Monterey Bay

Inara likes this.
  10. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Are you asking which town to visit or live there?

11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Big city: San Francisco
    Small city: Santa Cruz or Santa Barbara
    Town: Boulder Creek

mnats, TOOL460002 and guitar ed like this.
  12. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    My favorite? Kind of a toss up really, between Paso Robles, Bishop, and Susanville. Great destinations for a day's motorcycle ride, and lots of great riding, in all directions, from each of them. But, by the slimmest of margins, it would have to be Paso Robles. Wine country, the Coast Highway, and - the James Dean Memorial, just down the road at Cholame...:whistle:
    Beemer.JPG On SR46 (great ride in itself) between Paso Robles and Cambria, on Hwy 1.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  13. San Diego and La Jolla, but I could never afford to live there. Same wth Palm Springs.

If you’re ever in Yucca Valley, go to Pappy & Harriets for the music.

14. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Om partial to Topanga cos my kids were born there. Really i like the northern 1/3rd of the state. Sebastapol, Muir Woods, Mendo., all the way down to San Jose.

15. Served in the Navy '89 to '93, home port 32nd St.

Lots of nice memories in San Diego. And - the drivers were very good then, everyone had a sense of courtesy.... L.A. is a totally different story.

16. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    fullsizeoutput_ac1. Lost Hills.

Willicious, MCF, MJ5150 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    It's a toss up between Yosemite Village, Monterey, and Ballarat.

18. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    I always wanted to live in San Luis Obispo.

Element Zero and kent1113 like this.
  19. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Laguna Beach , Lake Tahoe/ Yosemite area

MJ5150 likes this.
  20. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    PG is pretty awesome. I lived there in this two-unit apartment for about 7 or 8 months in 1986. It was three blocks from the beach. I could make myself a cocktail and walk down to the water to drink it. Should have stayed in the Carmel-Pacific Grove area but a marriage going south can cause a person to make wacky, regrettable decisions. All connected to why I liked walking down to the beach with a cocktail. :thumbsup: Prior to that I lived in Carmel for 9 months. It looks like whoever owns this building at present is taking good care of it. And the city is putting in new sidewalks. I lived in the lower unit (left door). Garage went with the lower unit. Within walking distance of the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Pacific Grove apartment.

This is a view of Monterey Bay from the side balcony (hidden by shrub in pic above).

Pacific Grove apartment view.

M. M.

JKos and GregC like this.