1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite Cleaning Products

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jamie Bishop, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Jamie Bishop

Jamie Bishop Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Laney Amplication
    I'm going to try to be more responsible in keeping my 77 jazz clean. Does anyone have any favorite or preferred cleaning products?

2. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Naphtha for sticky gunk and dead skin on the fingerboard.
    Alcohol for the above. N.B. Test for solvency with finish.
    Water, with a little bit of soap for general clean up.

Number one on the list of all time favorite cleaners?

Windex. Buy the big jug and decant into a convenient spray bottle. Keep your bottle separate from the general cleaning chemicals at home or you may find yourself making an unscheduled trip to the store.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'd be darn careful with Windex or any substance of any kind that is a solvent (naphtha, alcohol, paint thinner, etc.) when it comes to contact with labels, logos, or anything printed on knobs or metal places. I have seen Windex remove the lettering from metal plates.

6. Thanks for posting this question, I've been wondering about good cleaning product for my bass and I'm going to try and order some virtuoso cleaner and polish next time I visit L&M.

I assume they will be able to order some, they are on Virtuoso's dealers page.

7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Interesting. Avoid the Windex with ammonia added. Otherwise it is relatively benign. Same goes for the other solvents, including the universal solvent, water. The caveat is do not soak things or leave solvents on surfaces for a long time unless you know the product and what you are doing with it. They are meant to be used immediately as a damp cloth or left for a minute or so.

As always, practice on scrap.

8. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i'd suggest comet