Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Concept Album: And The Story Behind them.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm really bad at figuring out concept albums. I looOoOooOoooove Fates Warning "A Pleasant Shade of Grey" but I can't quite figure out what it's all about.

I've taken quite a shine to Mars Voltas Deloused. I don't know the details (because I think they want you to BUY the explaination to their album :meh: ), but I know it's about a friend of the band who tried to kill himself by Morphine, but instead went into a ten day coma. And the album is a fictional depiction of what he went through. Anyone know the details?

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Animals is probably my favorite concept/theme type album. Im sure most folks can figure out the themes presented without me explaining though hehe.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My favorite has got to be Roger Water's Amused To Death.

It's based on a book called Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Showbusiness by Neil Postman. It's essentially a treatise on how TV has become our culture's principal mode knowing about itself - therefore how TV stages the world becomes a model for how the world is to be staged. Make sense? We see war on TV (which, sadly to say, is entertainment), and then we create wars because that's how we "know" life is supposed to be that way.

"Miraculous you call it babe
    You ain't seen nothin' yet
    They got Pepsi in the Andes
    They got McDonalds in Tibet."

Jeff Beck plays guitar on it too. Sweet.

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I think it's gotta be Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

Two CDs (or four album sides if you prefer) of 100% Grade-A Bizarro.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    brad cook

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    The only concept album I've ever heard fully was Dream Theater's "Metropolis Pt. 2 - Scenes From a Memory" but I didn't even like all of it.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Good call.

Hey, wasn't Lamb Lays Down on Brodway about a guy who tries to save his brother from drowning, but has to just watch it, but then switches places with him... :meh:

My dad explained it to me once.

8. COHEED AND CAMBRIA.

9. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Outside from Bowie.
    Even though the whole Cyberpunk thing evades me a bit, and the interludes got on my nerves after listening to the album for the second time.

10. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I bought the Deloused book, (two, actually, and later eBayed both for a HUGE profit) and lemme tell ya: it doesn't help explain ANYTHING. Very cool to read, but impossible to comprehend. A lot of the made up words on the record are actually names (Cerpin Taxt, Moatilliata, etc.) but I couldn't tell ya which character is which, or what happens or even how it ends.

Utter nonsense.

My favorite record EVER, too.

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Tommy.. Only because I played bass in a production of the musical.. Very enjoyable.

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Animals is easy:

You are a pig

You are a dog

You are a sheep

I am insane

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Driver By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera (or maybe Decoration Day) - a two disc album that every song has a correlation to Lynyrd Skynrd. Very good, back-to-basics rock in roll.

Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall - Pink Floyd

Deloused - Mars Volta

14. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    a perfect circle - thirteenth step

pink floyd - the wall

both are really good concept albums.

15. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

It's a tad bit deeper than that.

16. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    The Who had this one 'concept song' before they recorded Tommy, it was called 'A Quick One While He Is Away'.
    I have it on the Live at Leeds cd, pretty hilarious stuff with this 'Here comes Ivar the Engine Driver to make you feel much better...'

17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Queensryche's "Operation: Mindcrime". The only issues I have are with the production, which I've heard the recent remaster fixed, and that it's biggest positive might be also the largest negative - being so very specific in setting and timeframe dates it.

Kevin Gilbert's "The Shaming of The True" comes in a <i>very</i> close second, if only for "Water Under The Bridge", quite possible the most touching "ballad" I've ever heard, and "Certifiable #1 Smash" which is the best explanation of the music business I know of. :eek:

18. AllegroNonMolto

AllegroNonMolto

May 15, 2004
    The "De-Loused" thing from my understanding is about a friend of the band who was basically insane and used to shoot up with rat poison, which eventually made his arm useless and put him in a coma, and he eventually died.

Supposedly the album "De-Loused" is some sort of tripped out fantasy he has while in the coma. You can kinda tell when he wakes up and dies at the end of "Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt" with the "who brought me here?" stuff.

At any rate that album is my favorite album since "OK Computer."

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I wanted people to explain the concepts behind their favorite concepts... :(

20. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Especially since I wasn't aware that APC's 13th Step was a concept album. :scowl: