Favorite Cover Song?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by James reeve5, Jun 13, 2003.

1. "Steal My Kisses" by Ben Harper is probably one of my favorite cover songs to play at gigs.

The bass part is busy, but really fun, and with the simple G-C-D progression, it is really easy to take the solo wherever you like.

It is also a great song to introduce the complexities of the bass to the audience. It is not the most difficult song I play in any given set, but it is the one I always recieve the most compliments on at the end of the night.

Anyone else have a favorite cover song?
  2. "Would" by Alice In Chains, one of those songs I can really relat to.
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Electric Funeral is some good shtuff to play at a church BBQ.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Prolly "The chicken"

It's a great jammy, fun song to play that gives everyone a chance to breathe.
  5. Robot... For some reason, if I were to make 3 guesses at a cover that you would have chosen "The Chicken" probably would have been one of those 3.

I like it to though, its got that same kind of relaxed vibe, but (for me at least) it's somewhat difficult to pull off properly in a live situation.
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Moved to the correct forum

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Donna Summer - I Feel Love

When we play it, I play the sequencer bass line on my bass :bassist:

One of the songs I used to play constantly when learning the bass, play along to that 12" single mix for 8 minutes and you'll build your stamina up in no time...
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you know it's funny, because me and my friends jammed on the chicken even before I knew who jaco was, then when I learned it was a favorite jammy song for him to, and I heard how he did it, it just refreshed my interest in the song. :)
  9. House of pain- jump around

I do the strings/horns intro on bass, and I try to do a different bit of noodling leading into that each time we do it.

in the middle we go into RHCP's "pretty little ditty"/Crazytown "butterfly", then a bit of Cypress Hill's insane in the brain/we ain't goin out like that, then I rap the last verse of Jump around(while playing the bassline, of course).

in all, lots of fun:D
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    that does sound like fun!

I want to hear, if you ever record this.
  11. we played Electric Six' "gay bar" for the first time last night (at JB's Dudley http://www.jbsdudley.co.uk/ ) :D

this is now the most fun song in the set.
  12. Oh, you mean this one?
  13. I used to play that alot in High school with a guitarist friend, well not much of a friend but he was someone to jam with whom I got along with.
    We just weren't as good friends as me and his bassist girlfriend...I should have asked her out when I had the chance

oh well, into the flood again.
  14. -but instead of a dog playing a BC Rich our main guitarist/bandleader would look like this-

last night we managed to mess up "whatever" by Liam Lynch- but balanced that out with an inspired extra verse -
    "I was in my room having a w*nk, and my mum comes in and she's like "eeeeuugghh"...":p
  15. *laughs* Nice pic! :D

Our band used to do covers of "Looking For Freedom", "One Of These Days" and "Take A Walk On The Wild Side" in the beginning, when we didn't have enough originals. We played them a bit different, though - a little faster and with a little more distortion :)
  16. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I always have a blast playing "Sir Duke" live :D
  17. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    ...but only if you play "I Wish" right after it. ;)
  18. 99 red baloons by goldfiner which is a cover, so its a cover of a cover and anythign done by save ferris
  19. I can't narrow it down to one.
    * Cradle of Filth - Hallowed be thy Name (Iron Maiden cover)
    * CoF - Fear of the Dark (Maiden cover)
    * Big Sugar - Dear Mr. Fantasy (no idea who did it)
    * Rage Against the Machine - Ghost of Tom Joad, Maggie's Farm
  20. CKY - Premiscuous Daughter
    best song for any battle of the bands at school or something, or anything really, just the best for a school battle odf the bands, just because you cant get kicked out for using bad language cause it has none, but itll shock everyone in the audience, and CKY are the best band, when Deron wrote that bass line, he was really pulling out something special, even though it is extremly easy.