Favorite Dave Holland Recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by musicman5string, Feb 26, 2006.

1. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    What are your favorite Dave Holland recordings and why?

I'll go first:

(No Order)

1. "The Oracle" a trio record with Hank Jones and Billy Higgins. His tone is clear as a bell and he tears it up on the mostly standards and bop material.

2. "Question and Answer" with Pat Metheny and Roy Haynes. His tone is kind of odd on this one, but it somehow works really well. The playing on this is amazing by all three.

3. "Ones All" his solo bass CD from 1995. Just incredible playing all the way through, and I usually hate solo bass (not bass solos, just solo bass). For a real trip, play the changes to these tunes on the piano with the recording.

4. "Triplicate" with Steve Coleman and Jack DeJohnette. There's nothing quite like Dave and Jack together. To me, this is one of their best. Steve Coleman ain't so bad either ;)

5. "Angel Song" by Kenny Wheeler. Dave on bass and Bill Frisell on guitar....the tones are to die for.
  2. I love Dave's Quintet myself. The c.d. Live At Birdland totally rocks my socks along with Not For Nothin'. Conference of the Birds is pretty high on my list too and Question and Answer is on there.
  3. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Theres a lot of his albums that I really love, but my favourite is probably Joe Lovano's Trio fascination, Joe, Dave and Elvin Jones. Wonderful!
    Also reccomended, but completely different, Dave's solo album 'Emerald Tears' and duo with Barre Phillips, 'Music for two basses'. Both mainly free, with a fair bit of arco thrown in.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I probably listen to "Prime Directive" most, followed by Angel Song - although the thing I liked best was "Bass Inventions" which I saw him perform live with a chamber orchestra - but hasn't been recorded yet ...:(
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I still have a soft spot for "Conference of the Birds" esp. the title track.

A bit unusual are his two collaborations with songwriter/banjo player John Hartford, "Morning Bugle" and "Hartford Clements Holland" (MB was on CD briefly but is out of print again, HCH has never been on CD). Avoid if allergic to country music :cool:

Also his cello album "Life Cycle" is sweet...

BTW the mention of "Angel Song" left out Lee Konitz's name, shame on you!

Hard to pick favorites though, I love everything he's done. If I found out he recorded with Britney I'd buy it :help:
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually I suppose the thing I listen to most with Dave Holland is "In a Silent Way"....:)
  7. Tough call. There aren't many musicians who rival Dave for consistently stellar performances in a variety of settings over a long career.

If I had to pick just one, it'd be Conference of the Birds. I still remember being blown away by how fresh and inventive it sounded when I was developing my ears in high school (groans) and the airwaves and record stores were full of CTI and fusion stuff. It still sounds utterly contemporary. The Sam Rivers trio with Dave and Barry Altshul was a great group back in the day. And there's a version of "You Stepped out of a Dream" on an Anthony Braxton date from around that same time that has one of my favorite bass solos ever.

Among the quartet/quintet recordings, I'd choose Prime Directive or the live record. Strong compositions and especially great performances all around on both of those.

Among the sideman dates, most anything with Jack Dejohnette works for me. They're both such masters of subtle, supportive, hard-listening rhythm section play. I love the Dave/Dejohnette/Geri Allen trio, both by itself and on that live record with Betty Carter. There's a live Stan Getz date with Dave and Jack and Richie Bierach that's really nice too, though I don't think Dave plays a single solo. I like Dave paired with Al Foster too. What I've heard of him with Elvin Jones (with Joe Lovano and Bill Frisell) hasn't spoken to me quite as much, for whatever reason.

Dave plays his ass off on Question and Answer with Metheny and Roy Haynes, but I find it frustrating to listen to because of the recorded sound, which does him a real disservice, to my ears.
  8. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know what you mean. For me though, when that came out, I was just getting into jazz, and a friend of mine had it. Reading the liner notesand listening to the music, it was really my first contact with Dave Holland, and since the playing was so great and he seemed like such a regal figure, that tone actually really has a place in my heart.
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

There's also a smoking "newgrass" side from '75 that's still in print with Norman Blake, Sam Bush, Vassar Clements and several others. Same caveat applies.

Conference Of The Birds, the quintet sides w/Steve Coleman, and the duo stuff with Sam Rivers top my list. There's so much other worthy material though, oh man...
  10. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    +1. That duo version Dave and Braxton do is beautiful.
  11. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    I like Conference of the Birds and Prime Directive alot. I've listen to Question and Answer quite a bit too, that's a great session.

I like his playing quite a bit on Joe Henderson's Musings For Miles too. He really compliments that quartet with Al Foster, Scofield, and Joe. Good, interesting lines and beautiful solos.

He's a great player I definitely don't listen to enough. I need to correct that.
  12. wallydoesbass

wallydoesbass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Menlo Park, CA
    I really like Dave's playing on side 1 of Anthony Braxton: The Montreax/Berlin Concerts - great "open form" playing.
  13. I have recently been buying lots of jazz DVD's and one of them has Dave H, Herbie H, Jack D and Pat M. Dave plays both electric and double bass on the disc, but his solo on "Solar" brings the house down, it's so.. fast, melodic, and worth the price of the DVD alone.
  14. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

15. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I always liked Holland's playing (and his tone!) on Paris Concert by Circle.
  16. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Gateway (1975) John Abercrombie with Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette

This album still knocks me out. It is very "out there" but the group is just amazing. Holland and DeJohnette really play well together.
  17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually that recording has been out of print for close to 25 years, it just showed up again on CD this year. The closing tune that opens with just Dave and fiddler Vassar Clements is a real sweet piece of jamming on the blues.

Here's a link:

18. Any of the Gateway discs, especially Homecoming. I still need to pick up the companion to that one, In the Moment.

That's a trio that really ought to get back together. Abercrombie, Holland, and DeJohnette...oh my gosh.
  19. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY

I've been lucky to see each of them with other groups, but to see that trio would be sweet!
  20. Emerald Tears is a favorite. He does a good job making a solo project interesting. Another favorite is Chick Corea's "Circle". The bass duties are split with Miroslav Vitous, and by the time Holland comes on, things take a dramatic turn.