Favorite DB recording (your opinions)

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by ksdaddy, Jul 25, 2002.

1. ksdaddy

Jul 5, 2002
    Caribou, ME
    Okay, here's a chance for everyone to air their views. If you were stranded on a desert island with a solar powered cd player, what cd or cds would you have with you that featured DB? I'm asking for the biggies here; the ones that made you want to DIE if you didn't get your hands on a DB; the ones that inspired you to want to play, and leave you slack jawed still today. I don't mean just flash technique necessarily, I mean soul, feeling, "connecting" with the listener. What are the ones that are ingrained in your brain? My selfish motive here is the fact that I'm a new DB player, and I'd like to buy some recordings...
  2. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Mark Morton's new CD "Thresholds" you will be amazed at his licks. (He plays harmonics above the finger board.)
  3. When the 'desert island' game comes up, I always think of Gerry Mulligan's answer to what ten recordings he'd want. He said "None. I'd take a piano."
  4. OK. You've piqued my curiosity. Where can I find a copy of "Thresholds"?
  5. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    You can get Dr. Morton's CD at www.asodb.com it is not listed yet as the cd was released a week ago Wed.

There is an email and a telephone number on the web site.

I am not connected to ASODB in any way other than I went to the week long camp last week. (Where I got the CD the first day it was released.)

Piano and Bass that's all.

6. Thanks. I had already checked Amazon, CDnow, and the ASODB web site and didn't see it mentioned. Thanks for the heads up.

How was the camp? I'm thinking I might like to go one of these summers.
  7. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    1. Johnny Burnette Trio - Rockabilly Boogie LP
    Bass by Dorsey Burnette. And the CD itself is just awesome - I mean REALLY F*CKING AWESOME! :cool:

2. Carl Perkins - The Essential SUN Collection
    Bass by Clayton Perkins. These actually are the first tunes that consciously drove me into DB!

3. Mac Curtis - Rockabilly Uprising
    Bass by Ray Campi. Just kicks ass!

(Yeah, you're right. These are no Jazz tunes. ;) )
  8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    That Burnette recording is one of my alltime favorites. Whatta band that was. As far as bass recordings go, I've always liked the sound of "As Long as There's Music", by Hampton Hawes and Charlie Haden.
  9. Renaud Garcia-Fons : "Fuera" , "Oriental Bass"

François Rabbath : "live in Paris 1970"
  10. b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    A recording of Domenico Dragonetti's concerto in a major. I am playing this classical tune for the recital at the end of the semester. Amazing piece...and yes this also has the harmonics off of the fingerboard.
  11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    • Any of the Bill Evans trio with Scotty
    • Edgar Meyer, 'Cello Suites
    • The solo album that Dave Holland did (too lazy to go dig it up and 'remember' the name of it.)
    • A trio album, the name I've never known, with Tete Montoliu, NHOP, and Toody Heath. I had it on tape. Got me into jazz. It has a great arrangement of 'Body and Soul' on it.
    • About 1000 other albums.
    • I think I like Mulligan's idea, myself.
  12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The Dave Holland CD is 'Ones All'.

Somebody else's piano, of course! :)
  13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Which piano I would choose would depend on the climate on the island. Duh. :rolleyes:
  14. Let me guess....
    You´d take a Rhodes along with guite a long power cable....