1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite Direct Box

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by timmit65, Dec 26, 2017.

1. timmit65

timmit65

Oct 24, 2017
    Panama City, FL
    With my small rig, I'm using an external DI. So far, I'm really liking the Boss DI-1. I'd used the Behringer BSS knock-offs in other situations with decent results, but they sounded horrible with the out of my Peavey Minx. I put the Boss in its place and sounded night and day better! I know the Countryman is the standard any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. timmit65

timmit65

Oct 24, 2017
    Panama City, FL
    BTW, I tend to mic the speaker with a dynamic mic (Heil RP40, AT BP40, SM7), as well as DI. Also, I'd want to be able to use the DI for things other than just bass.

3. Countryman is the Standard.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Radial JDI or the Radial J48. Pretty much what you feed into it is what it sounds like. Very little to no coloration at all.

bass12 and staccatogrowl like this.
  5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I’d say the Radial products are becoming the standard. Love my JDI.

bass12 and staccatogrowl like this.
  6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    I have and love both the Countryman and the Radial passive Stagebug. I slightly prefer the Countryman but it's not always easy to get phantom power so I bought the Radial. Both are great.

7. dheafey

dheafey

Jul 22, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Radial JDI for me. The Jensen transformer is what did it.

8. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Noble DI.

Jerry Ziarko likes this.
  9. kevinpmajka

kevinpmajka Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Passive on stage - Radial ProDI - Passive in Studio - Radial JDI.

oheare likes this.
  10. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I do a few IEM gigs with just My bass and DI and take my Genzler 800 head and use it as a DI. Genzler has one of the best DI out's I've played through.

SteveC likes this.
  11. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I've been using a Sony DWZ B30GB wireless unit for my bass the last couple of years, which has a DI that I used for the first time recently at an outdoor gig. Works great not to be tethered and able to go through the PA, and especially not have to drag in my amp.

pbass62 likes this.
  12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Until I went to a DI/IEM board, I used the DI a from my GB Shuttle and never got a complaint. I believe someone “scoped” it and it was very similar to a Countryman. Jeff has always made a great product that is practical, solid and sounds great.

13. chriss

chriss

Apr 27, 2007
    I replaced my JDI with one of these, the RNDI and couldn't be happier. I suppose it adds some color to the tone but I like it and so does the director and sound man. It also does a great job with acoustic.

RNDI: Rupert Neve DI

DirkP likes this.
  14. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    +1 Love my Countryman DI. It's clean and accurate and my sound guys who prefer to bring their own DIs love it.

15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Radial makes great DIs. I prefer the JDI on keyboards...seems to smooth out some of that digital nastiness without degrading the sound. The JDI works well on active bass, and may slightly load some passive instruments (good or bad, you choose). I find the J48 a touch tighter and more articulate than the JDI on bass (good or bad, you choose).

I actually use a PZDI, which is essentially a J48 with a slightly different feature set including three impedance settings and a variable high pass filter. I chose the PZDI over the J48 in case I need to deal with an unbuffered piezo pickup. FYI Piezos need a 10 meg ohm load to smooth out their response. Countryman Type 85 and Type are also very good DI's with 10 meg ohm inputs.

16. I'm in love with my BSS AR133, active

basscapes and Geri O like this.
  17. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Indeed. A very good, very under-rated, and unfortunately, more and more unknown DI. The BSS AR133 should make anyone more than happy. But with BSS falling into (relative) obscurity with the live audio folks, we are seeing less and less of this DI. If you find one used at a good price, get it! Just as a spare, if nothing else.

And don't confuse this excellent DI with a Behringer unit that looks very similar. It's not a terrible DI, but it ain't no BSS, either.

18. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Sonic Farm 2di4. It really is.

19. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    So THAT's the DI that B*ringer CLONED - I mean <cough> "reverse engineered" - for their Ultra DI100 :)

vclem and Geri O like this.
  20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I think DBX took the BSS over as the di12. BSS being a sister company in the Harmon (Samsung) empire... I have one of those and other than the form factor it’s great. I like it on Keys a lot. I also have 5 or 6 Countryman Type 85’s, a couple of JDI’s and a bunch of Radial Pro’s in various Mono and stereo configurations. Passive basses like active DI’s. Active basses like Passive DI’s ...
    If like the Op I had a Peavy Minx on stage, I would be running the thru on the DI to the minx and leave it out of the foh... I certainly wouldn’t waste a mic on it...

For my own uses the DI in. Radial Bassbone has been my go to for years. I am about to do a compare of the Tone Hammer and the Subway DI’s. I may end up running both as I always cable two basses. Seeing as I am the Sound guy... I don’t expect any arguments ;-)

We’ll see how that shakes out

Das Jugghead likes this.