Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Doors Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Self-titled

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Strange Days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Waiting for the Sun

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. The Soft Parade

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Morrison Hotel/Hard Rock Cafe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. L.A. Women

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    For me it's a toss up between their first and last. Their first album was very moody and introduced what the Doors were all about. I liked it most when Jim actually sung instead of moaned and screamed. LA Women to me was a great album, and I'm glad their last was such a good piece to remember them by. Of course, it has my two of my three favorite Doors songs, LA Women and Riders on the Storm. (my 3rd probaly being The End, my 4th is probaly Light My Fire and 5th is probaly Roadhouse Blues)

I just decided to put up their official releases and decided not to put up their box set, live albums, Other Voices, American Prayer ect.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...man, I forgot all about Other Voices.
    I had that one on 8-Track!

Off the top of my head, I think I would opt for LA Woman...it is a difficult choice for me, though. I was diggin' these guys way back when(as much as a 6th-Grader could).

BTW, you didn't want to include Absolutely Live? That was released when The Doors were still happenin'.
    (I think). ;)

3. I voted LA women, although I haven't heard all of them.

4. I love them all, but I voted for LA Woman as Im in a bluesy mood. My other favorite is the original self titles album. Everyone knows 'Break On Through', 'The End' and 'Light My Fire' but I think it has a lot of other overlooked classic songs such as 'End Of The Night', 'Soul Kitchen', 'Take It As It Comes' and 'The Crystal Ship'. Every song on that album is great.
    I think 'Waiting For The Sun' is one of the most underrated albums in rock history. It has some great songs on it, especially 'Not To Touch The Earth' , 'Summers Almost Gone', 'Wintertime Love', 'Yes The River Knows' and 'Five To One'.
    Jim

5. American Prayer

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I voted for LA Women, but really my favorite is LA Woman.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Great call on "End of the Night" Lizard King. I love that song, though I wish they would have made the song longer. They could have had a great tangent with tht song. Love Jim's vocals on it. And I've still never heard anything like the slide guitar solo in it.

8. First Doors Release...
    Before Jim Morrison became a fat drunk.

9. Yeah, I always thought that that song could have had the potential to be an epic along the lines of 'The End'

The Doors are my favorite band of all time, but one thing has always disapointed me a little. The live stuff is brilliant, all the concerts are great, but the Doors always seemed to play the same songs, good as they are, they kind of neglected other great songs that would have been great live - 'Wild Child', 'End Of The Night', 'Take It As It Comes', 'People Are Strange', 'Waiting For The Sun', 'Maggie McGill' etc. are all songs that would have been greta live, but were never, or only once or twice, played live.
    Jim

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    L.A. Woman......because of bassist Jerry Scheff's mighty fine grooves:D Special mention to some of Harvey Brook's work on Soft Parade.