Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Drum Sound

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I dunno, I'm listening to some MP3s, and 10,000 years by High On Fire came up... it's just such a great drum sound. It got me thinking, what are some of your favorite drum tones. It can be really unique, heavy, tight, perfect... whatever you want.

Another two examples I can think of: Stewart Copeland from the Police and surprisingly the drummer from As I lay Dying... he makes me want to hear more by them. He's a little high in the mix... but is sound is so heavy, it's great.

2. Metallica - AJFA

3. Elvin Jones
    Max Roach
    Tony Williams
    Billy Cobham
    Stewart Copeland
    John Stanier (Helmet)
    Clyde Stubblefield
    Tim Alexander
    Bill Bruford

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    David Pioesan from Ephel Duath. Great cymbal tones with a tight snare snap. The song "The Passage" is a good example of what I'm talking about.

His name escapes me, but the dude from Alice in Chains has a great sound and his style is great. Tight sound with a nice, dark cymbal tone. God Am, I Stay Away, and No Excuses are some prime examples. Maybe too reverbed for some.

5. Count_Bassy

Count_Bassy

Feb 3, 2005
    San Diego
    Anything Mike Marsh does in Dashboard Confessional is absolutely incredible! Also, Blink-182's drummer, Travis Barker, is one of the best drummers I've ever heard.

AJ

6. i think JB's sound on Zepplin's Kashmir is classic

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thomas Noonan's sound on 36 Crazyfists' "Bitterness The Star," is stellar, in my opinion. What drums should sound like.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

If this thread were a debate of talent, this is the point where I'd say, "You haven't heard many drummers then." But this is just a reminder, this thread has nothing to do with talent (well, sort of, if you suck, you're not going to make a good sounding kit sound good), it's a question of the sound. Flash is not an issue.

9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My favorite drum sounds are as follows:

1. Thud

2. Flam

3. Thunk

4. Splash/sizzle

5. Schmack

10. I like Neil Peart's Moving Pictures era sound - on songs like The Camera Eye his drums sound fantastic.

11. The drum sound Butch Vig got on the first Smashing Pumpkins' record, Gish.

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've always been a big fan of Nick Hexum's tones from 311. In particular, I really love his snares, as well as Adrian Young from No Doubt. Also, ...Trail of Dead's "Worlds Apart" had some sounds on it that I really like - not so much drums, but the percussion in general.

13. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Steve Jocz in Sum 41's All Killer No Filler , Animal's in The Electric Mayhem, and pretty much all of Will Champion's with Coldplay.

14. One favourite
    And another
    So why do you play that fast? - I`m gettin`paid per hit, you see....
    What would you say if your band`s drummer behaved like that?
    Stop that pentatonic noodling, Eric, and listen to some real music: Here goes...

I haven`t found my very favourite yet, there are way too many choices :meh: .
    But one thing is clear: If I had the chance to do it I would replace our current "I`m no way out of timing `cuz I am the drummer here! You got no sense for rhytm `cuz you only play the guitar and bass parts.... :rollno: " drummer with one of those any time. :D

P.S.:If you`ve clicked on the link and there`s only a standstill picture and music but no video running, go to the website
    Drummerchoice and click the names of the drummers:
    1st example: Vera Figueiredo
    2nd:phil Collins
    3rd:Gene Krupa -Showtime
    4th:Steve Ferrone & Ray Cooper
    :)

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Anything with timpanis/kettledrums.

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Nick Hexum is the lead singer.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I really like hand claps when they are used for snares

18. Joey from slipknot, and tools drummer. the way he uses his toms in tool are amazing, they actually play a tune in themselves sometimes instead of just a beat. That tight deep sound with a bit of click in the attack is my favourite sound.

BTW... Lars's snare drum on St. Anger is the most DISGUSTING snare/drum sound i have ever heard. And the alum is poo poos too

Peace
    Chips :bassist:

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The one sound that I hate is that pingy snare sound with the head screwed down ridiculously tight. I like a nice fat snare with some attack, but that pingy sound irritates me to no end. I like the Tom Petty snare sound on Wildflowers probably more than any snare sound I've ever heard.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The one sound that I hate is that pingy snare sound with the head screwed down ridiculously tight. I like a nice fat snare with some attack, but that pingy sound irritates me to no end. I like the Tom Petty snare sound on Wildflowers probably more than any snare sound I've ever heard.