Favorite Eno collaboration

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Oct 6, 2002.

1. What's your favorite album featuring the creative input of Brian Eno?

Mine is a tossup between David Bowie's "Heroes" and Talking Heads' Fear of Music.
  2. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I just got Fear of Music today!
    I had it, lost it...found one on ebay. hard to find these days.

I think it's great stuff, from both parties.
    We're performing at a local Talking Heads tribute night soon; I was hoping we might do 'electric guitar'- what a bass line!

Otherwise, my Eno exposure is somewhat limited. Trying to expand it though...
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, I seem to remember Emo Phillips having a role in the Weird Al Yankovic film UHF, and I really like that movie.

What are we talking about?
  4. I'm going to hurt you.

(I know a dude who, whenever someone mentions either Eno or emo, starts talking about Emo Phillips.)
  5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    My favorite music featuring the creative input of Brian Eno is his solo albums-particularly "Another Green World." The textures and moods he evokes on that album are truly incredible-and the bass playing (fretless by Percy Jones, phased fretted bass by Paul Rudolph) is great. I've listened to that album literally hundreds of times and like it more each time. My girlfriend, OTOH...

I also like the aggro experimentation on his solo debut "Here Come the Warm Jets" (which was mined heavily for the "Velvet Goldmine" soundtrack) and his increasingly abstract later ambient albums.

Collaboration-wise I think his "My Life In the Bush of Ghosts" with David Byrne and the albums with the Talking Heads are my favorites. I've never heard something involving Eno that I didn't find at least thought-provoking or sonically interesting, and I think he's remarkable for keeping his childlike curiosity and creativity throught a long and influential career.

Eric Tam's book "Eno: His Music and the Vertical Color of Sound" is an absorbing examination of Eno's background and working techniques that thankfully doesn't try to deconstruct the mysteriousness that makes Eno's music so appealing.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My favorite Emo collaboration would be the Hoover/Lincoln split 7". If I ever had to be stranded on a desert island with three emo records, this has to be one.

Oh. You said Eno.

7. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    His stuff with U2. Really I think that they fit well with each other. Eno seems apt at figuring out what the band wants to do and how to get them there.
  8. Wanker.
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sheesh man...that's a really hard question...he's been on so many fantastic albums. I'll just have to list some of my favorites:

Of course the stuff with Fripp, Exposure, Evening Star and No Pussyfooting (he has other stuff with Fripp that's less notable)

Jon Hassell - Power Spot

The Talking Heads - Remain in Light (my all-time fave TH album)

Roxy Music - self-titled

David Bowie - Low and Lodger

I could probably narrow that down some more if I really tried but those are all worth mentioning IMO.
    All great albums.

brad cook