Favorite famous bassist’s bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brian579, Mar 29, 2020.

1. factory presets

factory presets

Mar 3, 2020
    You gotta think he'd notice if it happened all at once. And being as it's how he made his living you'd think he'd do something about it. The comes from an upright background theory someone posted sounds more likely to me.

2. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    It was one of his Black 'n' Gold basses.

3. rejb87

rejb87 Inactive

Jul 20, 2017
    I thought cliffs sister has His Aria Black'N Gold

AudioTaper likes this.
  4. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    That's what I thought also, unless she sold it.

5. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    He had 3 Black n Golds. One is with Metallica (with a PJ Marx pickup), one is with his sister, and then this Julien's auctioned one. I'm not sure who has the one from Julien's. Maybe Metallica was able to get that one, too.
    Cliff+Bass+last.jpg
    cliffblackngoldcase.jpg
    81907_0.jpg

AudioTaper likes this.
  6. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
  7. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    No, Starfire #1 was stolen during the late 60s and only found its way back to him decades later. The second Starfire (with the very crude hack job on the top) was a quick replacement that could have electronic components swapped in and out easily for purposes of experimentation.

8. Mustang Surly, Thanjks for the clarification.

S

9. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    It would be a Series 1 . Both Stanley and Mark have signature models but I never see them play one. They both play series 1's.

10. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Congrats!! What a great player he was. I got to see ARS a couple of times what a great band and his bass solo was always a high point of the night

Bass V and Bajo Clarkko like this.
  11. rejb87

rejb87 Inactive

Jul 20, 2017
    I've always thought Mike Kerrs custom shop Jags were pretty neat, but to pick one, it's easily the orange guy with the custom Humbucker.
    reading-festival-uk-shutterstock-editorial-10370480at.jpg

Outshined91 and lowdownthump like this.
  12. jacko

jacko

Apr 1, 2005
    edinburgh
    I had the pleasure of playing that very bass when JJ was in Glasgow playing with Alan Holdsworth and Gary Husband in 2010. Jimmy contributes to the Alembic club and always makes a point of coming out to chat with fellow Alembic players at his gigs. When he was playing Glasgow Ferry with Holdsworth he invited my friend and I backstage for a chat where I got to play his bass. The string spacing is quite narrow compared to my own 5 strings.

13. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
  14. Jon Muir

Jon Muir

Jun 13, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    Easy. This bad boy is the only one in existence and possibly the prettiest bass of all time.

Attached Files:

lowdownthump likes this.
  15. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I would love to have a bass with some kind of inlay but that I think would be a bit to LOUD visually for me. Stanley can get away with it because well.... he is Stanley Clarke. I think walking out on stage with that, you be expected to put down some serious bass lines. :)

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  16. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2020
    Jaguar bass is easily the best looking of the major bass models out there. I guess I could rock orange. Sure.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  17. JR Porter

JR Porter

Mar 21, 2020
    I'm a big Jefferson Airplane/Hot Tuna fan so it would have to be....

unnamed.jpg

stevieg and alaskaleftybass like this.
  18. Bryan Kienlen of The Bouncing Souls '66 Jazz with about a half inch of body played right off it above the pickguard. The defining sound of 90's punk.
    9e0ba5709b3ba7695ef6a077dfd864d7.jpg

Shawn Luckman and rjovin like this.
  19. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    How could I forget this bass?!
    I would take this jazz bass too!!

6B8AB10A-0437-465D-9F69-B0904FD08B06.jpeg

20. Welcome to the club. I have a goldtop.

S

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021