Favorite famous bassist’s bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brian579, Mar 29, 2020.

1. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Make it a fretted version and I’m in ! Someday I will own another thumb. They sound like a bass and a whole other instrument at the same time.

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  2. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Stanley Clarke’s series II
    81GweFtulOL._SL1000_.png

BigBottom61 and IMMusicRulz like this.
  3. JBassDeluxe

JBassDeluxe

Nov 20, 2014
    Northern California
    N/A
    I’d have add one more to this convo and say Flea’s ‘61 Jazz, however I need to qualify my statement. I’d actually prefer that model and year without the shell pink paint, or what’s left of it anyway. His bass’ chain-dragged behind a pickup on a country road for a mile chic doesn’t do a lot for me either.

I liked those early Jazz bass with a volume and tone control for each pickup and think Leo may have erred in this instance when he changed to the familiar configuration.

With a passive bass like this, having control of each pickup’s tone along with the resulting interplay of frequency attenuation between the pickups’ combined signal give more tonal options than the one master tone control.

I wired one of my Jazz basses to the ‘60-‘61 configuration and it became my main bass.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  4. Craig Orndorff

Craig Orndorff Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2021
    Probably one of Entwhistle’s Thunderbirds, although there’s some interesting threads here about his affinity and later dropping of it. Anything owned by John Deacon or Roger Waters would round out the list.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  5. west al

west al Ready, PLAY! Supporting Member

Felix Pappalardi's EB-1. RIP old friend.

felix pappalardi.jpg

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  6. nabilhuakbar

nabilhuakbar

Jan 13, 2020
    Utah
    the one true answer

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021