1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite fast sixteenth note bass grooves?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Les Fret, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I am practicing a lot of fast sixteenth note bass fingerstyle grooves again lately. I am playing for a long time and am familiar with the usual suspects: Jaco, Rocco, Jamerson etc.

But I am looking for something new that I am not familiar with yet. Doesn't have be fusion or funk. It can also be some other styles as well like punk, world music or reggea or whatever. As long as it got a good sixteenth note groove and interesting bass part. If it is fusion and funk than maybe something of the newer guys. Maybe there are some things that I don't know yet or have been missing. It can be anything but no slapping. I prefer fingerstyle in this case.

So what are some of your favorite fast sixteenth bass lines that meet above criteria?

Curious what you come up with and hopefully you can inspire me and point me in a new direction or something.

2. Dean Town by Vulfpeck

3. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Thanks. Good one. And yes I know that one! :)

Groove Doctor likes this.
  4. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    How far are you prepared to go in terms of genre-busting? EDM? Classical?

MattZilla and Les Fret like this.
  5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    More so than Jaco or Rocco, Gary Willis blows my mind every time I listen to their Tribal Tech records. The speed is unbelievable. Are you familiar with his work?

Groove Master, smeet, gebass6 and 4 others like this.
  6. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Anything really. I have studied classical guitar and classical double bass. I also play EDM. So I like it all.

Yes of course! great stuff!! Still listen to that and you never can study those enough. Yet I am looking for something new and fresh (for me). :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Nashrakh likes this.
  7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    In which case have a pop at this. It's not relentless 1/16ths, but is one hell of a groove...

Edit: I suppose the post is incomplete without the obligatory YouToob link...
    (Note the the intro in my score is a little longer than here and the first bass notes are in the silent bar before the first verse.)

Attached Files:

Les Fret likes this.
  8. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    ok Cool. I rather like that song! :) Never really noticed the bassline though. Do you have any recordings of this version?

9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    No, it's just how I play it with my band. Might be able to pull something off the mixer at next rehearsal...

Les Fret likes this.
  10. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    ok here is one I really like. It is Richard Bona on bass. It has a nice African flavor.

11. Janforth

Janforth Father of Chritobin Madden Challenge 19 Champion Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Florida
    Not sure if this is in the ballpark, fast forward to the 14:36 mark, Dave Meros of Spock's Beard.

cratz2, N4860, The Rage and 1 other person like this.
  12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The opening medley on "American Idiot" by Green Day has a lot of fast stuff, and some odd chord changes at times - although it's not my favorite genre of music, it's good at developing speed and mental flexibility.

Outshined91 and Les Fret like this.
  13. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Dig Tim Commerford's bass line in this song from his solo project;

14. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    like this?
    or
    or
    some J. Wobble perhaps?

cratz2, higain617 and Les Fret like this.
  15. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Not a groove, but lots of 16ths.
    Go find a cave for 6 months. You will thank me for this.

mikewalker and Les Fret like this.
  16. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    These two are fairly simple to play but still fun as heck.

cratz2, MustangWally and Les Fret like this.
  17. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    I’ve been trying to learn the fretless bass line to Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes.

It’s interesting as it goes in and out of the 16th notes, mixing in some 8th notes in the same measure.

It took me a few days to learn the notes; it’s taking much longer to learn to play them in the correct rhythm. Lol

18. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Check out Streetlight Manifesto. Super fast third wave ska. Bassman is a monster.

Les Fret likes this.
  19. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Didn't know about this project. Listening to their other songs. Good stuff! Thanks for the suggestion.

Direct Box Rox and Les Fret like this.
  20. Kevnn4

Kevnn4

Mar 19, 2015
    SF Bay Area
    POUNDCAKE - Van Halen. Talk about a right hand workout exercise!?

Groove Master, Thundar and Les Fret like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021