Favorite Female Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PumpkinEscobar, Jul 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Share Pedersen - Vixen

2. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Who was their first bass player? The one that was over 6' and breathed fire.

3. basmansam

basmansam Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Vermont
    Jenny Lee/Warpaint is my fave.
    4001 groovin!!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  4. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I never really thought about it before. Most of my favorite players are male for really no other reason than I was attracted to the band's music first, and the bassist just happened to be male.

I suppose Sean Yseult. I like her energy and White Zombie was great.

5. Paul M

Paul M

Jul 21, 2005
    I generally don't rank bass players who are better than me, which excludes ranking just about any bass player with a following.
    So based on facial expressions alone, my favourite is Este Haim.

RickyWoo and bassbully like this.
  6. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I remember that concert. Was a bit chilly out....

7. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I did not know about them. Cool stuff. I dig it, and I like the bass parts. A bit of an electronic vibe but that seems to be common these days in indie music.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. TDSmith

TDSmith

Jan 17, 2015
    Sara Lee was mentioned in a list. This video is from the '80s. I've always loved her simple but very danceable grooves. I think she went on to other bands. B-52s?

mapleglo likes this.
  9. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I saw Esperanza Spalding on a Late Night show.
    Again, no P bass, ignoring the pocket, and a boutique bass. MORE HERESY! You guys clearly don't know what makes a good bass player according to Talkbass orthodox doctrine o_O

Fxpmusic and nbsipics like this.
  10. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

A lot of great players listed for sure. For me, ever since I've been turned on to Lake Street Dive, I've been obsessed with Bridget Kearney. She is such a bad ass player. Excellent groove, excellent pocket and killer vocals. What more do you want out of a bass player? :D From a male pig perspective I think she is quite nice to look at as well.

Dig.

11. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    I've been lucky enough to study with Marlene Rosenberg here in Chicago. She grooves as hard as any jazz bassist I know, and her sound is huge. Here she is with Ed Thigpen.

12. pineweasel

pineweasel

Nov 21, 2003
    Check out her playing on the League of Gentlemen album with Robert Fripp too.

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I have minor misgivings anytime somebody prefixes any creative role such as bassist with the word "female" as a modifier. Mainly because far too many people equate "best female bassist" with saying "best (for a female) bassist." And that's a faux distinction that needs to die.

You're either something or you're not. Gender isn't a qualifier or an excuse. And none of the women I know who play bass appreciate being put in some separate subcategory just because their "dangly bits" (as Ian Anderson put it) are different from those of a guy.

But I'd better drop it before I'm accused of leading some PC crusade here.

So, to play along, I'd like to nominate Esperanza Spaulding and Meshell Ndegeocello (or however she's currently spelling it ;)) as two superb bassists who just so happen (courtesy of the human genetic lottery) to also be women. :thumbsup:

FantasticFour and GregC like this.
  14. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

Oct 11, 2012
    Katy TX
    When it comes to music I see no gender, male musicians are the same as women musicians ... But I think Esperanza S. very hot.... And such a good musician....

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with thinking somebody is hot. But that's entirely different category to vote on. :laugh:

And for the record, I think Ms. Spaulding is rather lovely (both for her appearance and her personality) myself. :)

16. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    I didn't think anybody else new about Kim Clarke
    (Steve Coleman and 5 Elements, Defunkt, and all kinds of Jazz gigs around NYC. [on Upright])
    I have her on my list of influences in my profile. She would smoke Tal W.

davidprice likes this.
  17. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    Tracy Wormworth ... currently with the B-52's ... has done stints with the Waitresses, Sting, Wayne Shorter and Cyndi Lauper among others. Her performance on "Christmas Wrapping" alone makes her a legend in my book ...

Mark Yurick and ERIC31 like this.
  18. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    Sara Lee played extensively with another great performer, Ani DiFranco.

19. vdbass

vdbass

Oct 22, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Janice Marie Johnson (A Taste of Honey).
    Her tone was sweet.
    Check out "World Spin" from one of the most under rated albums of the 70's.

Mark Yurick, ERIC31 and lowdownthump like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021