Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What is your favorite Fender Jazz Bass and why? Your answer may be something like "American Deluxe Jazz Bass" or "Victor Bailey Jazz Bass" or "70's Reissue Jazz Bass". However, you need to include a year if the features of the bass differ from the features of the same model bass currently in production. Here we go.....

My favorite: 1971 Fender Jazz Bass. 1971 was the year where Fender started to build their jazz basses with maple necks (I believe). It's true that all the years up to this day can also have maple necks, but the '71 is more vintage than they are.

I also really like:

MIA Marcus Miller Jazz Basses, they get the 70's sound without the 70's price.

2. 62 reissue! Never played one, but I've been gasing for one forever it seems.

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    My favorite Fender Jazz is certainly an oddball - the early 90's "Plus" series. The Lace Sensor/Kubicki electronics are extremely versitile, and main reason I love 'em are the downsized bodies. As a smaller guy of 5'5", they just "fit" better.

Perhaps Fender should bring back the general concept of the downsized body as a counterpart to the "Zone" model? I'm thinking a "Zone P" and "Zone J" would work well together.

4. Maybe a Zone PJT?

5. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    My personal favorite is the 75 jazz.

Those MIJ Marcus Miller 4-string basses are a close second.

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    70's Jazz basses with maple fretboards (and block inlays), a la Marcus Miller or Geddy Lee.

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I really dig the late 90's MIA Standards.... I have had a '95, I still have a '99,. and am thinking about a '97.... I love 'em!

P@

8. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    My favorite Fender jazz bass is Marcus Miller 4 (which I bought in 1999), sounds and plays excellent.great bass.and not very expensive either.my second favorite would be 75 reissue.

9. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    My 78 J bass (with a changed warmoth rosewood neck) has definitely been my favorite fender this far! nicely figured ash body (very light) and a super cutting tone... only problem is the neck dive from the warmoth neck (on the lookout for an original replacement).
    - Tom

10. Word.

That and Larry Graham's all white jazz bass looks soooooo sweet.

11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What the hell are you thinking?

12. Its called Advertising :D

13. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Geddy Lee.
    or Victor Bailey (haven't played one yet - but looks nice.)

14. 1997 American Deluxe Jazz. Love it.

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Victor Bailey jazz! :hyper:

16. 67' MIA stock Jazz. I have had this bass since I was 7 years old, it's the best sounding bass I have ever played. It feels like it's been custom made to fit my hands.......what more could I ask for?

[​IMG]
    Treena

17. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    75' re issue jazz bass with maple fretboard.... tight and growly

18. Favourite: '74 Fender Jazz/Sunburst/Maple/pearloid blocks

Least Favourite: 70's FSR Fender Jazz Reissue/Lake Placid Blue/Rosewood/Abalonoid blocks/faulty truss rod :bawl:

19. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I like my 60's jazz in Burgundy Mist, I just put a neck pickup cover on it, very cool looking. Also, my Jaco fretless is wonderful.