Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite few notes.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RHCFlea, Dec 2, 2001.

1. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    Don't know if this makes sense, but what is your favorite small set of 5 or so notes in any song. I'd go for the bass in the chorus of under the bridge when it first comes in. This might sound stupid, but anywaym what the hell.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I find bass fills interesting and entertaining in well played bass lines. Of course, they can be irritating if the timing is bad or the bass line seems too busy.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The main line for the Peter Gunn theme. It doesn't get any cooler than that.

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    breakin the law, breakin the law....

5. the fat little fills between verse and chorus on led zep's "good times bad times"... oh yes

simon a

6. Surprisingly, that is probably the easiest part of the song.

7. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I don't know about anyone else, but there are twelve notes in particular that I'm very fond of - in fact, I'd say that most of the music I listen to would sound very different without them.

Hey, someone was going to be a smartarse sooner or later... ;)

8. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    my fav chord right now is C(15) E(14) Bb(15) also
    starting on the E string F(13) Eb(13) A(14). peace
    Chad

9. at about 3:40 of oysterhead's mr.oysterhead there this like part maybe be 5 sec's long and it is one of the best riffs i have heard .

10. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I agree with you there.

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Intro to No Use For A Name's "Let Me Down"

There's many more songs I like better, but just judging from songs that only use a few notes, that'd be it. :)

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    OMG! IN ALL TEH SMALL THINGS WHEN MARK HOPUS DOES THE BASS THING... OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D

13. My fave bass bit is the part in "Hush" by Tool when Paul slides way up the neck before the chorus starts near then end of the song.

It aint really technical at all , but it is one of those parts in a song where you just happen to like it for some reason.

14. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    seriously though, my favorite bass line lately has been "The Day I Tried to Live" by Soundgarden. It has such a cool sound, it makes you feel like you're tumbling down or going down a staircase or something... I cant describe it, its just cool sounding to me.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How about the one note in Ozzy's No more tears? And what's up with that song? Is it about baby shampoo, or what?

16. Coltrane's A Love Supreme.

F Ab F Bb

x o x x (x)
    .|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .|

17. Two little parts come to my mind immeadiately:

The first part of the opening riff of Rancid`s "Journey to the End of the East Bay" and,
    RHCP`s opening/verse section of "Californication" !!

:D ;)