Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Fingerboard wood on a Sadowsky?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I currently have a brazilian rosewood fingerboard on my ash bodied Sadowsky. I really dig it a lot.

What is your favorite fingerboard on a Sadowsky bass? and why do you like like it above others? (for slap, fingerstyle, warmth, clarity)

Last question: anyone know where Brazilian Rosewood falls in the spectrum? Is it brighter than indian rosewood? What are the tonal benefits of this rare wood? Thanks

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    my favorite on ANY bass is Maple.. birdseye or otherwise

3. I prefer maple

because of the rapid attack and high end sparkle compared to the pau ferro (morado or Bolivian RW) and Brazilian rosewood.

4. Maple yes! And when the highs are rolled off a bit it will warm nicely but still has a liveliness that can't be had w/ the other boards. (You roll the highs off, but it just starts sounding muffled or dead.)

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Maple fretboard. Why? I like the way it looks. :)

6. Yeah, I've got a Sadowsky Ultra Vintage P/J on order (hopefully a Christmas present to myself)...w/ a birdseye board. Should be quite stunning.

7. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Anyone know where Brazilian Rosewood falls in the spectrum? Is it brighter than indian rosewood? What are the tonal benefits of this rare wood? Thanks

8. Suhr build superlative guitars like Sadowsky and you can extrapolate what you like from his comments on guitar to the electric bass:

Maple / Pau Ferro - Quarter sawn Pau Ferro has the good properties of ebony but seems to be more reliable and stable. Pau Ferro is a tight grained hard wood with excellent clarity Strong in the lower mids and bass, scooped mids.

Maple / Indian Rosewood - Sweet and warm with some sparkle on the top end, probably one of the most popular fingerboard woods, it is open grained with colors ranging from brown black to red brown. Warm, Fat, not too bright not too dark. Very neutral.

Maple / African Rosewood - Rich color, red brown with interesting patterns to sometimes almost black. Madagascar seems to have a wide frequency response brilliant highs and punchy lows. A tight grained rosewood similar to Brazilian Rosewood. Good with darker sounding body woods. Strong upper midrange and extra presence, slappy. Very similar to Brazilian in color and tone.

Maple / Old Brazilian Rosewood -*Limited availability* Has the characteristics of Indian and Madagascar rolled into one, Not as much brights as the Madagascar and more crisp than Indian. Best not used on Ash unless you like brights or compensate in some other way like the pickups or bridge

9. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    My vintage p/j has braz rosewood on it and it's fabulous :D

10. In my experience, Brazilian rosewood is brighter than other types of rosewood, for example, East Indian, but not as bright as maple.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    my personal choice would have to be maple, but I can appreciate the tonal qualities of the darker woods as well.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Maple seems pretty obvious on a Sadowsky.

13. I know there is a difference, but if you set the controls the same on a bass (ie a Jazz) with same body woods and everything but rosewood and maple fingerboards, would the difference be slight of dramatic?

14. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Another vote for maple.

15. I prefer birdseye maple (I ordered a Saddy with Birdseye that was stunning) however, I have to say that the Alder/Morado (4045) that I own now is THE ONE for me! I will probably add a Sadowsky fiver to my stable before long but the bass in my Avatar is the best bass I have ever played!!!

T

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

[​IMG]

17. I've never been much of a maple fretboard kinda guy, but I have to admit that I'm diggin' the maple board on my Standard 5. Would love to ba able to compare it head-to-head to a Brazilian and ebony board, though.

Mike

18. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I've had both and prefer maple!

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    brazilian and madagascar rosewood. a bit more articulate than the already cool morado, which i find punchier.

20. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    So can you still get a good slap sound from the morado/alder combination? I guess the preamp would help to add any needed snap...?