Favorite Fusion Y2K?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassbrad, Dec 15, 2000.

1. What are your 5 favorite fusion recordings that came out this year? Maybe you found something I or someone else missed. In no particular order my nominees are:

VTT2 VitalTechTones S.Henderson,S.Smith & Victor Wooten
    Rocket Science Tribal Tech you know Gary Willis on bass
    16 men of Tain Allan Holdsworth Dave Carpenter on acoustic bass
    CAB Tony McAlpine, Dennis Chambers and Bunny Brunel
    Charlie Hunter Charlie hunter 8 string bass/guitar

nb. if you don't like fusion, bug off, I play rough.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    In no particular order:

Living Daylights, "Electric Rosary"
    Stuart Hamm, "Outbound"
    Tony Levin, "Waters of Eden"
    Al Di Meola, "Grande Passion"
    Mark Isham, "In a Silent Way"
    Mike Stern, "Play"
    Charlie Hunter, "8 String Guitar"
    Various, "Who Loves You?"
    Christian McBride, "Sci Fi"

3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    THE STRANGER'S HAND-Steve Smith, Oteil Burbridge, Howard Levy, & Jerry Goodman.
    LOW BLOW-Victor Bailey's 2nd disc as a leader(BTW, Wayne Krantz is playing guitar on this; some of his '90s cds are worth checking out).
    THE LOST TRIDANT SESSIONS-Mahavishnu Orchestra(yeah, it WAS recorded in the '70s...was released only this past year.
    CALL ME AL-Alain Caron(truthfully, I haven't heard this, just assuming).

How 'bout some re-issues that appeared in Y2K?
    Billy Cobham-
    ...CROSSWINDS, TOTAL ECLIPSE, LIFE & TIMES, etc all made their appearance on cd.
    Alphonso Johnson-
    ...A COLLECTION has just been released(a "best of" from AJ's mid-'70's records...FINALLY!).

Another record, though NOT what most here would call Fusion, is James Carter's LAYIN' IN THE CUT. Definitely "fusion"...Carter's horn playin' runs the gamut from Bop to the Avant Garde(& everything in between). Meanwhile, the rhythm section of Jamaaladeen Tacuma, Grant Calvin Wesley, & Marc Ribot pretty much stick to a vamped Funk/R&B stew.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have been tempted to get "Rocket Science" and have actually picked it up in Borders a few time with the intention of buying it, but the cover just feels embarassing to me and I have put it back each time - maybe I'll order via the Internet and ask for a plain brown wrapper! ;)
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...what's the matter; is the cover a little "too" Freudian for ya?! :D
    Regardless, ROCKET SCIENCE is worth picking up(IMO).
    As mentioned somewhere, a couple of the cuts have that Weather Report w/ a guitar vibe. Supposedly, a lot of this disc was improvised/worked out as they grooved in the studio. Better than THICK(IMO).
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I did finally pick up "Rocket Science" from Borders today and bring it home. I do like the bass playing - something else to aspire to! Some of the guitar solos are a bit "abrasive" for me - I've just become an acoustic "wimp"! ;)

I like the fact that they are prepared to play slow tunes and not just "burning" funk, which is clearly their forte - made an interesting comparison with "Galactic"'s "Late for the Future" which I picked up at the same time. I really feel the virtuosity with Tribal Tech and at points they sound similar to Galactic in instrumentals and must be aiming at similar audiences - but Galactic don't post their "virtuoso" creentials in the same way. I'm not sure what I'm getting at here - there is no music like this in the UK and it's difficult to get a sense of what these bands are like - room for more styles in the US I suspect. It's just great that there are bands who improvise and are "fairly" popular.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...no one has picked up the new McLaughlin LIVE IN PARIS(I think)cd w/ Dennis Chambers & Matt Garrison?
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My problem with Tribal Tech has always been the fact that Hernderson's ugly guitar sound (IMO) prevents me from enjoying Willis' bass playing.
    Exciting Fusion 2k for me is mostly stuff from a different branch of music. Projects like Liquid Tension Experiment, Gordian Knot, Fire Merchants, Spastic Ink or Aghora are more Fusion in my opinion than the music usually associated with that label. Or the stuff Jonas Hellborg does with Shawn Lane. It's much more adventurous and daring than the usual just-playing-safe-and-boring stuff (GRP!!).

But all of the above strictly personal opinion only - keep those flame throwers in the holster :D
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...well, you're not gonna get a Pat Martino tone outta Scott Henderson, ya know? ;)
    Truthfully, I would have really found his tone abrasive a few years ago; I really liked the Martino, Hall, old Benson, etc tone. For that reason, I only "tolerated" RTF & Mahavishnu Orchestra(I guess)...& preferred the guitar-lessness of Weather Report.
    Anyway, TT's later stuff does have somewhat of a Rock edge to it...have you heard their earlier stuff(like Dr. Hee)? IMO, that's their "best" album(nowadaze, IMO, they're a little too much "Tech"...though I really like Rocket Science).

Anybody into guitar trio Fusion-
    ...check out Billy Connors' cds from the '80s(like Assembler w/ Tom Kennedy & Weckl) & Kazumi Watanbe's cds(like Spice Of Life w/ Berlin & Bruford).
    Something a little more "adventurous" that's kinda cool(IMO)is Sonny Sharrock's Ask The Ages from '91. The band is Elvin Jones, Pharoah Sanders, & Charnett Moffett...how's that?

...if you like Lane/Helborg/Sipe, have you ever checked out Arcana? That's Tony Williams, Bill Laswell, & Derek Bailey. As I've mentioned before, Bailey is probably the most difficult musician I've ever tried.