1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Favorite Geddy Lee sound Live

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hemitom, Apr 12, 2006.

Favorite Live Rush/Geddy Lee Bass Tone?

Poll closed May 2, 2006.
  1. EXIT STAGE LEFT

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. DIFFERENT STAGES

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. RUSH IN RIO

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. R30

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  5. OTHER...ELABORATE

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    Pretty simple question for all you Geddy Lee / Rush fans.Which of the listed albums features your favorite Geddy tone.My favorite is Different Stages
    1) Exit Stage Left
    2) Different stages
    3) Rush in Rio
    4) R30

2. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I don't feel there's enough of a difference between the Rio and R30 tones to warrant giving them seperate choices...

But anyway, I like every recording of Geddy live that I've ever heard. The man has always had an excellent sense of what sounds good on bass. However, as his tastes and equipment evolve, I'd have to say his sound just keeps getting better. So I vote R30/RiR. Different Stages in a close second, then Exit Stage Left.

3. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    What about "A Show Of Hands"????:eyebrow:

or the "Grace Under Pressure Tour" with the Steinberger???

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    In all honesty, I love the A Show of Hands tone the best, even though at that point in their career they're so goddamned synth heavy that there's barely any bass playing!

The Wal's tone is just so snappy and thick, I love it. The other tones are great too, just different.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    ESL, without a doubt!!!!!!

Damn you, now I want a Ric. :( ;)

6. A Show of Hands is my favorit Geddy Tone. I love that Wal. I voted other.

7. ESL, 100%, ONe of the Best Live bass sounds EVER, up there with Live at Leeds and USA.
    All The World's A Stage is good, but murky.
    Don't like the Show of Hands sound at all.
    Actually, I'm not too enamoured with the Jazz sound either...:bag:
    As far as Different Stages is concerned, the Loose (70s) disc has superb bass tones.. The 90s ones are too rattly and toppy... Just my opinion!

8. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    R30 has an AWESOME sound so I figured I'd vote for that.

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

It's hard for me to vote because I think that Geddy's tone has passed through "Different Stages" and each one is great on its own. The only thing I dare to say for sure is that his most refined and "exquisite" tone can be heard on "Power Windows" (I know that the question points to live recordings but again, it is hard for me to vote).

10. +1 Better every time I hear him. I had to vote for R30.

11. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    Yeah I know ! I just picked up a blue 4004L .....I should never have sold my MapleGlo 74 4001...... Damn.:bawl:

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    A Show Of Hands. His Wal tone is without a doubt one of the best ever tones recorded.

13. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Grace Under Pressure Tour :D

14. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Exit...Stage Left for me too. Just great Ric-O-Sound sound. But is it Jazz on "YYZ"? Haven't played that album for a long time and I recall reading that he favoured Jazz for that song live.

I find his Wal sound way too clinical and clean on Show Of Hands. On the other hand it suits that period pretty well.

15. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    Yes,he used the Jazz on YYZ.
    Did he not go back to the Ricky on Signals,Subdivisions,New World Man,etc?

16. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Pretty sure the jazz is used on all of moving pictures. Pretty sure the Ric is on all of signals.
    or I could be wrong.

17. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Oh, had to vote Exit Stage Left since that album/video is part of what made me want to play bass.

Taking nothing away from his other tones though. Geddy's always sounded awesome no matter what he's playing. I like his current overdriven Jazz tone - it sounds all juicy n' stuff.

18. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I thought this thread was about concerts. As far as albums--Signals' got them all beat.

19. On Moving Pictures, the Jazz is on Tom Sawyer, Vital Signs, and Witch Hunt.

On Signals, the Jazz is on New World Man, Digital Man, The Weapon and Losing It.

The rest, I think, are all Rick.:hyper:

20. jonsmith

jonsmith

Dec 24, 2005
    London, UK
    Playing bass in a Rush tribute, I've investigated this more than any sane person would normally do. :) As far as I've been able to discover, around the time Geddy was using both the 4001 & the Jazz, this is where he used the Jazz:

Jazz on Spirit of Radio & Between Us on PW
    Jazz on All of MP except Red Barchetta & Camera Eye
    Jazz on Digital Man and New World Man on Signals

However on the tours recorded for ESL, it seems to have been only the Rickenbackers that were actually used. Although the Jazz is listed in the programmes, I'm sure I saw Geddy using only the 4001 (or 4080/12 when required), even on YYZ.

Oh and I voted for ESL - love that awesome Ric tone.

Edit: Just seen Kink Rimson's post - perhaps it is the Jazz, but what bass there is on Losing It is rumoured to be the 4002.