1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite grooves for only drums and bass?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Kurisu, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I'm having trouble coming up with some good grooves to play with just a drummer -- i.e., no guitarist or singer.

So what are your favorite lines that sound great with just a drummer?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Kali Ghat by Jonas Hellborg. Reinterpret the kanjeera parts for a drum kit.

3. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Battlestar Scralathtica-Incubus

Love that groove.

4. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    there are a couple of videos on youtube of larry graham in all white playing with some asian drummer. find those and learn those grooves.

5. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    +1 :hyper:

6. MacNilly

MacNilly

Jul 27, 2007
    It's been a while since I've jammed with just a drummer and myself, but when I did, I would usually start with something I'd been listening to or practicing, then branching out from there, eventually ending up at something completely different than when I had started.

The main thing is to play off the drummer and listen to when you can follow him and when he is going to follow you. When he's doing something different (changing beats or rhythmn) it's probably best to stick to your same basic idea and not start going in a different direction. Know what I mean?

7. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Man, that's incredible. Thanks guys!

I just wish there were similar types of grooves that a non-slapper might play. This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for, it's just too bad a lot of the drum&bass is slapping/funk (which is great, don't get me wrong, I'm just not that talented yet).

8. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Larry is the man when it comes to that style of slap. Not the fastest or the most complicated but right in the groove. And he can sing. :) I would poke around utube for some stuff. Everything it there if you can find it.

9. Yupp, but they are a bitch to get right. I can play Pow note by note at any speed, but I really have to struggle to get the same feel as LG.

My favorite grooves that I can play are:
    The vamp in the beginning of Jhon Meyers's "I got a woman" from the record "Try".
    Herbie Hancocks "Cameleon"

10. The Gossip - Listen Up!

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    "Ars Moriende" by Jonas Hellborg and New York based frame drummer Glen Velez came this morning, so expect me to update this thread later tonight when I have listened to it! :D