Favorite Group Featuring Mike Patton?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Aug 21, 2002.

1. I'm a huge Patton fan, and I was wondering what the some of the Patton fans here at TB considered to be their favorite project with Mike Patton? I'd have to say my favorites are Tomahawk and Mr. Bungle..."California" is right up there on my top albums list with "London Calling", "Rubber Soul", "Physical Graffiti", etc.
  2. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Mr Bungle... although I really dig Lovage!

That reminds me, I need to get the Tomahawk album...

Have you heard anything about Peeping Tom?
  3. Faith No More... say no more. :D

Tomahawk is pretty good, but i still missing Faith No More.

4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    mr bungle.... a friend of mine just lent me the "California" album and I can't stop listening....

It's like the soundtrack for an episode of PeeWee's Playhouse has gone terribly wrong!

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    All of them. I'm really into the Fantomas CD's right now though.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Los fantomas.....is probably my favorite patton stuff...at least the first cd they put out...the themes of horror or whatever the new one is....is pretty lame.

lovage is a great album...though its automators work, patton just sings on a few tracks.

mr bungle is spastic

and I haven't heard much else with patton.
  7. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    My favorite Patton stuff is with Mr. Bungle; everything from the self titled "Mr. Bungle" album (which is like being at an evil carnival) to "Disco Volante" to "California". Faith No More is great, and I gid Fantomas and Tomahawk.. but there's just something about Bungle that I just totally dig that's not there with the other groups.
  8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    When you say Peeping Tom are you talking about that cheap pop-punk band? I heard them and I didnt like them much....
  9. oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    No, it's a Patton project (I wasn't aware that there was another band with the same name)-- I heard a while back that he would tackle it after Lovage... but he's pretty much been touring non-stop with Fantomas and Tomahawk since then.

Ah, here it is - from Ipecac's news archives (4/11/2002):
    Mike is off the road but still very busy. He is finally recording the Dillinger Escape Plan EP, he hopes to start work on Peeping Tom in May, hopes to work on new Fantômas and Tomahawk records this Fall for release in 2003 and has a couple other projects in the planning stages. Tomahawk looks to be playing more US, European and Australian dates before the end of the year. Of course, right now he is concentrating on the NBA playoffs.

EDIT: I think one of my buddies has a copy of the Peeping Tom demo - I'll see if I can get it from him...
  10. I'm interested to hear Peeping Tom...supposedly it's pop music done Patton style. Ooh, and next Tuesday is when the new DEP ep comes out!
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Grew up listening to my sister's copies of "The Real Thing" and "Angel Dust," so I gotta say Faith No More, although Mr. Bungle is pretty fun stuff.
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I feel a better question is "Which album...?" rather than "Which group...?"

My favorite Patton albums are FNM's Angel Dust (absolutely brilliant) and Bungle's Disco Volante (a modern album that quotes from Weber's Der Freischutz during a song with a dance beat and then goes on to where it does...what a trip).

brad cook
  13. I haven't heard Tomahawk yet. Is Tomahawk opening for Tool? My friend just saw Tool live not too long ago and said a band named Tomahawk opened up for them. He said they sucked and were really offensive to the crowd. They insulted the Jersey crowd and said Springsteen sucked and sang a song about how the audience hates them. I really am just wondering if it's the same Tomahawk.
  14. oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Yep, same one. Part of Mike Patton's schtick is to insult the crowd. Whether Tomahawk sucked or not is totally subjective, of course. :D
  15. Thanks for answering my question. Now I've got to hear them to judge for myself. Wish I could have been there for all the fun at the concert my friend saw them at.:D
  16. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    right now tomahawk. I absolutely love mr. bungle and fantomas, not mentioning fnm, but tomahawk is his most serious album in years. wet, dark, greasy and paranoid. gotta love it. :D