Favorite group.... out of this list!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hateater, Sep 16, 2004.

1. A Tribe Called Quest

8 vote(s)
  2. Organized Konfusion

0 vote(s)
  3. Hieroglyphics

2 vote(s)
  4. De La Soul

12 vote(s)
  5. The Pharcyde

1 vote(s)
  6. Jurassic 5

16 vote(s)
  7. Cradle of Filth

14 vote(s)
  1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Pick one or forever hold your peace.
  2. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    Sorry I don't know any of them :confused:
  3. Cradle, because I'm not well versed in most of those other groups. And they put on a sick live show!
  4. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    The point of thiswas for me to see how many of you appreciate hip hop. Just because there isn't a live band- or a bass solo every song doesn't mean that the music isn't quality ya know.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

My man Del, represent.

I'm a hip-hop fan as well. Black Star, Common, Del (one of my absolute favorites), Jungle Brothers, Disposable Heroes of the Hip-Hoprisy, Pharcyde, Tribe, De La Soul, Public Enemy, Fine Arts Militia, KRS-ONE, Jurrasic 5, Mos Def... and so on. Not a huge fan of the g-funk music. I think poor Parliment was sampled to death.

I like my hip-hip with a message and to be done with decent flow and fairly intelligent lyrics. Beats and whatnot are secondary. Which is where I think hip-hop differs from rap. Rap, it doesn't matter what you say (Nelly's "Country Grammar" is a good example), as long as the beat is good. I'm not down with that.

And yes, rap metal was a terrible idea.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    De La Soul, all the way. Me, Myself, and I. Yo.
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I thought I would be the lone Jurrasic 5 voter...
  8. Out of those....

Jurassic 5 and/or De La Soul.

Though I don't listen to them, they're the only ones I know off that list.

I'm more of an R&B or rap kinda girl. Lil' Kim, Snoop Dogg, Fiddy Cent for rap; En Vogue, Jill Scott for R&B.

Oh, and Missy Elliot. :smug:
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    TheLowEndTheory is just one of the greatest albums of any genre of all time.
  10. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    You're not the one to decide that, ya know. If I'd want a bass solo in every song, let me be that way. If I don't think something is "quality" then well, it isn't... to ME. Live and let live.

(FWIW - I haven't heard anything by the bands mentioned. Perhaps I'm just a bit ticked off by that. :D)
  11. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

What,, no carrots?
  12. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    De La Soul is the only group I think I heard of....
  13. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Jurassic 5.

If I had three votes I would have also voted for Heiroglyphics, and A Tribe Called Quest.

I listen to hip-hop almost exclusively while snowboarding. I agree with Brendan, I much prefer intelligent rhymes to interesting beats.
  14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  15. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Though call between Cradle and Heiro, but I got to go with Heiroglyphics because of Del.

Del The Funky Homosapien is awesome.
  16. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    For those of you who don't know any of them... I don't blame you- I would be in that same category a yaer ago. It is always good to embrace different music styles, and I suggest you all do so. With exception to Organized Konfusion (maybe Hiero), none of these hip hop groups rap about killing, bitches, crack... so on. Tribe could be my favorite because while they do talk about these issues, they speak about them in a real manner... for instance-

P: Back in days on the boulevard of Linden,
    we used to kick routines and the presence was fittin'
    It was I the Phifer,
    Q: And me, the abstract.
    The rhymes were so rumpin' that the brothers rode the 'zack.
    P: Yo, tip you recall when we used to rock
    Those fly routines on your cousin~s block.
    Q: Um, let me see, damn I can't remember.
    I receive the message and you will play the sender.
    P: You on point Tip?
    Q: All the time Phife.
    Q: Yeah, all the time Phife.
    Q: Yo, all the time Phife.
    P: So play the resurrector and give the dead some life.
    Q: Okay, if knowledge is the key then just show me the lock.
    Got the scrawny legs but I move just like Luke Brock,
    With speed. I'm agile plus I'm worth your while.
    One hundred percent intelligent black child.
    My optic presentation sizzles the retina.
    How far must I go to gain respect? Um.
    Well, it's kind of simple, just remain your own
    Or you'll be crazy sad and alone.
    Industry rule number four thousand and eighty,
    record company people are shady.
    So kids watch your back 'cause I think they smoke crack,
    I don't doubt it. Look at how they act.
    Off to better things like a hip-hop forum.
    Pass me the rock and I'll storm with the crew and ...
    Proper. What you say Hammer? Proper.
    Rap is not pop, if you call it that then stop.

Tribe and Del La Soul like to talk about real issues, whereas most of the others like to have fun. The Pharcyde is a great example. The song "Oh ****" talks about three different situations ranging from getting caught having sex with a friends mom to falling in love with a hermaphrodite.

It isn't just the subject matter- all of these cats have a great vocabulary that they know how to use quite well. It is always fun to sing along with fun tounge twisting rhymes.

Also- Cradle is the carrots.

Mod edit: please reread usage agreement.
  17. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    I like De La Soul , Tribe Called Quest, and The Pharcyde, but my vote goes to The Roots, whom you inexplicably forgot.
  18. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I can't really take any of it seriously! :D

But maybe that's just me.
  19. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

If you notice, I went for a specific kind of hip hop here- people who are well known for tounge twisting rhymes. I respect that the Roots brought a whole new element to Hip Hop, but I was going for pioneers of the non-gangster type of rap.

And for smash- I respect that you can't take any of that seriously. However, I can't take COF seriously AT ALL. I am not a huge hater, hell I even own a shirt and 3 albums. However, the whole screaming into the microphone thing while the drummer plays at 18 thousand mph gets old... fast. The whole song that I posted parts from plays off of them saying that you on point thing a few times, and they switch it up every time- so don't judge until you have HEARD the whole song.

And Oysterman, listen to some rap before you talk about how you can't take this seriously. This isn't ******* 50 cent talking about how he has a billion dollars and whatnot- this is a lot more realistic.

Mod edit: please reread usage agreement.
  20. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    You're wasting your breath on me man, I don't listen to lyrics anyway. I prefer instrumental music, or melodic vocals, or at least music where I'm not required to pay attention to the vocals 100% of the time to get anything out of it. So there is a big chance I'd appreciate the sonic textures of a million-dollar 50 Cent production more than all the indie (?) rap in the world. :ninja: