Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Hairbassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Bobby Dall - Poison

5 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Kip Winger - Winger

19 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Nikki Sixx - Motley Crue

71 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. Dana Strum - Slaughter

5 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Jerry Dixon - Warrant

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Rick Savage - Def Leppard

27 vote(s)
    10.7%
  7. Pat Badger - Extreme

10 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. Tony Montana - Great White

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  9. Alec John Such - Bon Jovi

17 vote(s)
    6.7%
  10. Eric Brittingham - Cinderella

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. Rachel Bolan - Skid Row

15 vote(s)
    5.9%
  12. Sam Yaffa - Hanoi Rocks

5 vote(s)
    2.0%
  13. James Lomenzo - White Lion

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  14. Jeff Pilson - Dokken

11 vote(s)
    4.3%
  15. Mick Cripps - L.A. Guns

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  16. Juan Croucier - Ratt

5 vote(s)
    2.0%
  17. Timothy Gaines - Stryper

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  18. Donnie Purnell - Kix

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Eric Stacy - Faster Pussycat

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  20. other (for you fans of Danger, Danger, White Snake and Trixter)

40 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm mainly doing this thread for S**ts and giggles. Thought I would just ask who your favorite hairbassist was. Notice I said "favorite" and not "best" "most talented" or "most technical" cause, well let's face it, most of these bassist aren't exactly going to get a cover article in Bass Player Magazine. You can base your choice on anything: Who had the best hair, who played the wierdest Jackson/Bc Rich, who did the most drugs, ect. :D

I personally chose Dana Strum from Slaughter, cause I think he's actually a talented bassist who doesn't get the credit he deserves. Just listen to his playing on "Fly to the Angels" or "Reach for the Sky". Great lines IMHO.

p.s. I didn't put Billy Sheehan up cause I know everyone would vote for him, besides, Mr. Big really isn't a hair/glam band.

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Dude...If Crue is Hairmetal, then so is Mr. Big.
    I voted for other. Sorry Billy!!!

3. chimppimp

chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    Oviedo,FL
    i was in clearwater when i saw a live show by firehouse the bassist was unbelievably good and i also disagree with putting crue and def leppard on their as hair bands

4. Does Duff McKagen not count as a hair bassist?

sim

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I'm only well aquainted with one of those - Pat Badger. He did a pretty damn good job in keeping up with Nuno Bettencourt & Mike Mangini back in the days. A very solid player. Most of the others on the list I haven't even heard. Not my type of music.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I thought about putting him on the list, but GNR was kind of a rebellion against the hair music, so opted not to.

7. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i voted for Rachel Bolan from Skid Row because he had that cool chain conecting his ear and nose.

8. I voted "other", 'cause I kind of like the guy who played in Madam X, oh if only I could find any of their two albums somewhere, then I would be able to tell you his name. Back in the mid eighties I read an article on the band in which he talked about his somewhat unorthodox and original "technique".
    He used to smash his bass against his head - he probably liked the sound of strings against hair ;) - the only downside was all the bumps he got...
    Clever guy. :D

9. I think that Nikki Sixx and the dude from Bon Jovi and Rachel Bolan and Jeff Pilson were all pretty damned good. I also agree that G&R was not hair/glam rock.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Share Pederson of Vixen.

...hands down!

:D

11. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Isn't Nikki Sixx the drummer? Oh well, I would have voted for what's his name from Motorhead

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  13. chimppimp

chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    Oviedo,FL
    i still stick to my first statement the bassist from fireshouse is the greatest hairband bassist of all time

14. Nikki Sixx is a bassist. Motorhead is not hair metal (not even slightly) they are real metal.

15. chimppimp

chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    Oviedo,FL
    u got that right tommy lee is the drummer and no hair metal band would have a frontman with a mole

16. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Thanks for correcting the motley crue part, but you just made me feel like a jackass on the motorhead subject, all this 80's metal stuff is confusing!

17. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period.

You´r rigth my friend, besides DUFF rules!!!!!

Ok I voted for Rachel Bolan....... not just because of the chain( as a kid, I alwas wanted to have a chain like his), but the cool riff´s and tone he had, specially on "Slave to the grind" album. Favorite bass line: Psycho Love.WOW

18. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    ...or three! And why is Enrique Iglesias considered sexy? Lemmy did the mole thing first and he does it best! Aaaaaarrrrrrgh!

I voted for Kip Winger (everyone knows he's my fave), but what about Blackie Lawless -- wasn't he hair metal? It's okay -- when people talk about 80s bassists, I always forget about him too.

;)

19. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Waidaminnit, if Motley Crue isn't "hair metal" (whatever that is), is Extreme?

20. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I had to vote other as well. My vote goes to Billy Sheehan ala Mr. Big, David Lee Roth. My other vote goes to John Aldrete from Racer X, now that guy could play some amazingly fast licks.