1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite half-round (or pressure-wound) strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sharkie, May 10, 2011.

1. Sharkie

Sharkie

Apr 22, 2011
    I've used D'Addario Half Rounds, they're pretty good but I have nothing to compare them to. I've been using rounds for a while on my new bass, but I'm thinking I may want to switch back to halfs.

But what I really need is a halfround string that can pull off slap, because I do a lot of that. I just find rounds too bright for most everything else I do. So basically I need a very versatile string.

You can either answer my question or just share your favorite brand, any opinion I can get on this is good considering how expensive bass strings are.

2. GHS pressurewounds

3. Sharkie

Sharkie

Apr 22, 2011
    Ok which leads me to another question, how do you think the pressurewounds compare to groundwounds?

4. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    The only half rounds I've tried were the GHS bright flats. It's bee years since I tried them. I don't remember what the slap tone was like but I do remember them having a good tone when played with fingers.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Roll off some treble when you're doing everything but slapping?
    That's what the tone knob, or treble EQ knob is there for IMHO.

6. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    I've used GHS for awhile. They have a very interesting sound when new and that lasts for about 3-4 weeks of playing moderately (3x a week, several hours) then they settle into a little brighter than flats and stay that way IMO. I like those and ground wound (I think it's D'Addario who makes those) a lot. But I just keep them on fretless. From my standpoint if you aren't sliding you could get close [to that sound] with electronics.

I have never found a set of strings that were worth spend a lot of money on. $30 is tops for me.