Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Holiday songs/albums

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BigWig Will, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Mu330's album "Winter Wonderland" and the Ramones "Merry Christmas, I don't want to fight tonight" are the rockinest holiday songs EVER.

Christmas is great :D

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Christmas isn't Christmas without Johnny Mathis!

3. Ranthony

Ranthony

Nov 30, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia
    There is nothing like walking into my Mothers house during the Christmas season, and hearing some Mahaila Jackson on the stereo.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Call me REALLY old fashioned, but Christmas isn't Christmas without the Montivani and Percy Faith orchestras. Also, I ahven't had Christmas until I hear Mel Torme sing "Chestnuts roasting by an open fire; Jack Frost nipping at your toes..." etc.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

6. eddiebo

eddiebo Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Montclair, NJ
    Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas w/ Monty Budwig on bass. Been istening to that one a lot lately. Not only a great holiday record but also a superior jazz performance

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I watched the TV Special last night(Charlie Brown Christmas)...afterwards, I charted out the walking/swing part to "Linus & Lucy"; it's out there. The 1st break, done in a quasi-Bossa, is pretty cut & dried...the 2nd break, done in a swing, is nuts! ;)

Is there a more tune that exhibits melancholy more so than "Christmas Time Is Here"?

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and the local Oldies station keeps playin' these Beatles' tunes done with Christmas lyrics-
    "Ticket To Ride" = "White Christmas"
    "Taxman" = "Rudolph"

I've been told this group is called The Fab Four?
    (I'll do a search...) ;)

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Maybe we need to do a "Melancholy Christmas" thread. The song you mention is, indeed, melancholy. But I have to add "I'll Be Home for Christmas (If only in My Dreams.") I also have to add Elvis' "I'll Have a Blue Christmas Without You" which has been done by some other artists and can sound truly sad. The song "Greensleeves" is very melancholy, too. Also, "I Wonder As I Wander." Even "Silent Night" can be played in a sorrowful way.

There are many others. I just have to think of them. Maybe it is fitting. I've read that lots of folks suffer from depression at Christmas time.

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    For me, Christmas ain't right without Cheech & Chong's "Santa Claus and His Old Lady". :)

Also, somebody a few years back did a tune about Santa, set to "Iron Man"...love to find it...anyone know what the name or artist was?

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I...AM...SANTA CLAUS!

That would be Bob Rivers?
    (The parody dude/troupe).

12. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I hate Christmas music...I know, I know I am a bumhug...anywho, I do have to agree w/Acoustic...I love Trans-Siberian Orchestra...They are the only ones I will listen to now. They rule!!!:D