Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Jamerson Motown track

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jazzbo, Apr 4, 2001.

1. What's going on (Marvin Gaye)

28 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Darling Dear (Jackson 5)

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Ain't Too Proud to Beg (Temptations)

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. I Heard it Through the Grapevine (Marvin Gaye -or- Gladys Knight))

9 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. I Was Made to Love Her (Stevie Wonder)

12 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. Bernadette (4 Tops)

21 vote(s)
    18.4%
  7. For Once in My Life (Stevie Wonder)

12 vote(s)
    10.5%
  8. I Second That Emotion (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles)

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  9. Ain't No Mountain High Enough (Diana Ross)

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. Other (Post Comments)

15 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ok, so sue me. I've never done a poll, and I figured I had a decent idea. Jamerson did so much great work for Motown (and out of Motown) that I thought I'd see if there were any other great fans of his songs. So, vote, we'll have recounts through 2003, and tell me which one of the tracks Jamerson cut for Motown moves you most, either because of just the bassline or the song as a whole. I know I've left great songs off the list, but you can't hit em all.

My vote was easy: Bernadette.

2. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    It is my privilege to be the first to vote for "I was made to love her"! What a great idea, what a great song, and what a great bass player. That is the kind of playing that made me want to be a bass player.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight

4. I had to vote for "What's Goin On". In my opinion one of the best (not just Motown) songs of the last 50 years. It still makes me weak........

5. Wow not even on the list, i am shocked.

Got to give it up by Marvin Gaye.

6. the mack

the mack

Mar 20, 2000
    i have to go with the jackson 5 "darling dear"....several great bassline thru out the whole song!

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Wasn't Jamerson the bassist on "Stand By Me"? That is one of my favorite all time Motown songs.

jo

8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    This is a tough one. The guy was just absolutely masterful. All his stuff is great.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I thought Stand by Me was recorded through Styx, which would mean it wasn't Jamerson. Either way, it just doesn't sound like his style.

10. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Creaping Death.. awwww yeahh.. and then What's Going On

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've been researching "Stand By Me." The best I have come up with so far is that it was on a Drifters album on the Atco label. I still can't find the bassist. It is also listed under the music style called "Brill Building Pop." So, I am still digging around trying to find out what that was, but I guess it wasn't Motown. The other artists listed are earlier than MOtown, all late fifties and very early sixties. Could the bass player have been Phil Spector? Did he ever play bass on records he produced?

jo

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I look at the list and think "This is great", then I look at the next one and think "This is great too" until the end of the list, and then I realize I can't pick.

I LOVE 'EM ALL!!![​IMG]

I respectfully abstain.

Will C.[​IMG]

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >>I had to vote for "What's Goin On". In my opinion one of the best (not just Motown) songs of the last 50 years. It still makes me weak........

Me too. But for sheer bass thrill my vote goes to 'For Once in My Life'. Jamerson's bass line makes me dizzy - up/down all around - impossible to predict where he's going. And, it all works perfectly.

14. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I voted Bernadette, but it was a tough call.
    I was made to love her, darling dear, heard it, what's going on, for once in my life....I would have voted for "all of them" if it was there.

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I just love that bassline to Bernadette. God it's amazing!!! And the 4 Tops just rock.

16. Bassr64

Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    N.E.Tx
    IMHO Jamerson was one of the most inspiring bassist to ever play the instrument. When I was a kid I remember hearing those basslines and wondering what and who was making those sounds. I just learned who he was this last year. His basslines are what got me interested in playing bass all those years ago.

17. Jackman

Jackman

Apr 16, 2001
    Easton, Ct
    Jackson 5 - I want you back, that is the song that got me interested in bass playing. its amazing. great bass playing

18. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    jj didn't play the bass line for i want you back.that line was played by wilton felder,bassist & sax man for the crusaders.wilt laid it down.

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    He did play on Darling Dear though. I always used to think that his bassline was too busy though. I've really started to appreciate it lately.

20. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I want you back was played by Bob Babbit.