Favorite Jamerson song

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ProgressiveFan, Feb 7, 2005.

1. What is your favorite motown James Jamerson song. I think my favorite is "Reach out- I'll be there." The bass is really cool in this song, plus the song itself is pretty cool. What do you think?
  2. Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    I have two, "Darling Dear" by the Jackson Five and a B side tune "I'll Never Stop Loving You Baby" by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell.

3. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    One of my faves is "Can't get next to you" as tabbed out by BP a couple months back.
  4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  5. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    I'll second, "Darling Dear", and also "For Once In My Life" by Stevie Wonder. Also, I love "If I Was You Woman" by Gladys Knight and the Pips, and "You're All I Need", by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrel. So many great ones, my mind is spinning.
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "If I Were Your Woman" is Jamerson? I'm surprised...it's a nice line, just doesn't have all the "Jamerson-isms" one would expect. IMO.
  7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Steve Wonder- You met your match-
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Ohh Good one Mojo-Man

My favs got to be
    "I was made to love her"
    "What's goin on"
    "I heard it through the grapevine" by Gladys knight
    "It's a shame"
  9. "What's Going On," of course and also "Ain't Nothing But The Real Thing."
  10. Serg

Dec 22, 2004
    "What's going on" is the best and I'm also into "Reach out, I'll be there"
  11. scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Any one of Jamerson's can be favorites, but here's some I love to just play (or try to)......Not necessarily in any order!

1) Diana Ross's version of "Aint No Mountain High Enough." An alltime classic example of straight up space and bottom!!!!!!!

2) Junior Walker's Home Cookin. Just a fierce bass and drum funk track!!!!!!

3) The Marvellettes' "Here I Am Baby." Feel the warmth on this track!!!!!!

4) Stevie Wonder's "House On A Hill." There's a one bar part where everybody lays out except Jamerson. The baddest "just let the bass kick ass" lick of alltime!!!!!!!!

I got more, but I'll keep it here!!!!!! Peace.
  12. I Was Made To Love Her- the first tune that was introduced to me as "Jamerson's"

Bernadette- ...wow...

Marvin & Tami's Ain't No Mountain High Enough- 2 minutes is just too short.
  13. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    The spinners "It's a shame"
    The four tops "same old song"
    "ain't nothing like the real thing"

c'mon you can't choose just one!!
  14. 1. What's Going On
    2. I Heard It Trough The Grapevine
    3. I'll Be There

:smug: just love'm, anyone saw the 'new' dvd Standing in the Shadows Of Motown? it ain't that pricey, and a nice article for a Jamerson fan =)

and ofcourse Bernadette
  15. Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Gladys Knight's original version of "Grapevine" is my favorite, also "My Guy" by Mary Wells, he just kills on acoustic.

16. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    There are so many! The ones that come to mind immediately are Home Cookin, What's Goin On, I Was Made to Love Her, ABC, Bernadette and on and on and on.
  17. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Is that JJ or someone trying to sound like him ? Most of the J5 songs were recorded by the west coast Motwon but there were exceptions, not to mention JJ moved out there when Motown Detroit closed.

This was JJ at his finest!
  18. I like the simpler ones. Meaning i'm more of a guy who likes

"Ain't too proud to beg"