Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Jazz Bass Settings? V/V/T

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grindylow, May 14, 2004.

1. Grindylow

Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    I have just acquired an American Jazz Bass which is wired volume/volume/tone. I am used to active controls where you have more tonal control, but heck! if Geddy Lee et.al. can get great tone out of their Jazzes I can too. What are your favorite settings?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well the tone controls on a jazz bass are quite simple... i just leave the first volume, (neck pickup) on half, bridge on full, and tone around 3/4 on.

3. Most of the time I would leave both volumes cranked, and tone. And then when I want a certain specific tone from either pickup, I would roll back the opposite pickup.

And as for tone, go from full to whatever else I would be looking for.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I really don't like the v/v/t setup. I modded mine v/b/t.

Set the volume once, then set the blend accordingly. In the past I found myself forever tweaking to get the right blend.

5. I should do that mod too. Having two volume pots is irritating IMO.

6. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I turn the knobs until the sound is good, then I stop.

7. On passive basses, I keep the volume and tone controls at the maximum and control the tone at the amp. I think passive basses sound best when they're wide open!

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    All cranked up for me, to get the most "juice" from the bass. Then I tweak on the amp.

9. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I recommend doing the series/parallel mod, then run both volumes on full and add tone as desired. :cool:

10. +1

11. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

70% of the time, I have all three on ten. 20% of the time, I have the volumes on ten and the tone on six or seven. (A few years ago, I used the latter settings 100% of the time, but I've developed a greater appreciation for definition) The remaining 10% of the time, I use various combinations, depending on the sound I need at the time.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I dont like the tone all the way up because its too bright. I usually turn it down about half way. With volume its either all on both or only bridge pickup.

13. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I usually solo the front with the tone rolled most of the way off.
    Add bridge to suit.

tk

14. I just shut-down the neck pickup and leave the bridge and tone wide open.Sometimes adding a little of the neck if I want more depth.

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    what kaz and lonote said. I've been playing passive Jazz Basses like that for 20 years. It works best for me.

16. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Neck PU: about 90%
    Bridge PU: about 50%
    Tone: about %50

I like a warm round sound, and I find when I crank the PU's the tone gets too harsh for me.

Maybe I'm just a P-Bass guy at heart....

:)

17. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    You mean to tell me they'll work without being dimed??

I thought they were round on/off switches all this time.

18. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    While it's not my usual setting of about 75% neck, bridge full, tone full, I have always had a place in my heart for:

Neck full off, bridge full up, and tone fully off. Burpy, it is.

19. Wide open. I get my tone from strings and fingers! I also like EQ on my amp, EQ is your friend, don't be afraid to use it!

[​IMG]
    Treena

20. Neck wide open alone 98%

Both wide open 2%.

Bridge alone 0%.

Tone wide open.