Favorite Jazz Style Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexssandro, Aug 3, 2001.

1. I would make a poll, but I don't feel knowledgeable enough to cover the entire spectrum, but I would encourage any one to come up with one.

There are so many to choose from. Off the top of my head, I can think of:

G&L JB2
    Mike Lull
    Modulus Vintage Jazz
    Modulus Flea Jazz (I saw this in Bass Player magazine)
    Japanese makes like Atelier and Moon I believe

There are so many more that I can't think of.

Out of the ones you've tried out, what are your favorites?
  2. You have seem to forgot the first/best Fender american std jazz passive. Of course this is my opinion but i'm sure a couple will agree.
  3. Reverend Rumblefish. Not a J-style body, but the pickups/electronics set-up is the same, and the neck is like a 60's Jazz bass. And it sounds amazing.
    I am also quite fond of bassmonkeee's '75 MIA Jazz reissue. :D
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The original Fender Jazz is one of the best designs ever, and my first choice(if I had the $$$) would be a 1960 or '61 Jazz.

Then it would be as follows:

Sadowsky Vintage 5
    Atelier Jazz 6
    Pedulla Rapture J2 5
    Lakland 55-63
    Peavey Millenium Jazz 5
    Mike Lull 5

I've got my favorite Jazz 4(other than a 60 or 61) in the Geddy Lee Jazz, and I also have the Pedulla Rapture J2 5, so I'm pretty much covered in the Jazz bass department.

But I still get GAS for a Sadowsky 5 or an Atelier 6.
  5. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Though I've never played or owned either, I really like the looks and am impressed witht the testimonies (sp) of craftsmanship of Mike Lull's and Sadowsky. If I were to pick one up, it would be narrowed down to one of these two.
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i LOVE my japanese squier by fender made in 82. it'a a reissue of the 1962 model sunburst with tortoise shell pickguard. basswood body. light and incredible sounding. i think that the pickup are american, compared with a modern reissue of the same model ('62) my bass sounds the same!

for your options i'd like a lot to try the G&L jazz. another lovely think about the jazz bass is that it's really easy to find upgrade parts, expecially the wonderful j-retro preamp. amazing thing.
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    is there a website for Atelier? and for Moon?
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    check this. fine italian luthier that makes something interesting for jazz lovers too.

9. I had a ’63 L series Jazz for 20 years and although good, IMO it wasn’t nearly as good as my Sadowsky Standard 4.
    Wish I still had it though. :D
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'm drooling over laklands right now....

i would think with that double pickup in the bridge position they would be even more versatile. and a buddy of mine is starting to work there soon. ;)

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 55-63 has 2 J pickups.

The 55-94 is more of a Stingray clone than a Jazz clone IMHO. Look at the body.

Wouldn't mind having a Deluxe, though.:)
  12. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    for me, it is a '60-'62 fender jazz. gotta love it.
  13. My favourite Jazz style Bass Guitar is a Ryder Bass, the sound is amazing. It is made in the UK, check out my summary of a Ryder Bass in the Review section. At the moment my second Ryder Bass is in the process of being made and once I have photos, I will post them on the forum.

There is not a web-site for Ryder Basses as yet but I have found a Review on his basses on the net, written in The Bassist magazine, as follows:

14. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Right now my fav would be the Lakland 55-63 with the dual "jazz style" pickups. I was lucky enough to get a chance to play one, and it blew my mind!!! GREAT sound and feel that I've never experianced with any other bass. However, I've not yet played a Sadowsky bass, which I hear are some of the best around.
    For a jazz style bass in a lower price range than the Laklands, the older Guild Pilot basses aren't bad at all, but the EMG pickups on some are definitley not my top choice.:rolleyes: Also:
    Fender American Deluxe Jazz
    Geddy Lee Jazz bass
    Any Fodera bass

15. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    My Fodera Emperor Elite with Duncan single coil jazz
  16. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I just got a Geddy Lee Fender Jazz and it's great.

I would say it's my favorite because it's the only Jazz style bass I've played.

But I wouldn't mind getting my hands around a Sadowsky.
  17. G

Apr 12, 2000
    As far as fours go, I am going to have to say a good Fender... Let me explain... If you paw through enough of them and just keep looking, you could very well find one that just fits. Everything is just right on that one bass out of six billion or whatever. It does take some dilligence though.

Fives? Lakland 55-63. Passive Duncans. Sweetest passive bass I have ever played. Period.
  18. Rich Briere

Rich Briere

Jul 5, 2000
    You answered your own question WITH your question A.

"Favorite JAZZ Style Bass".........Simply drop the word "style" from the original question. The original Jazz bass already has more than enough of that as it is.

Now....since there's only one company who actually makes a "Jazz Bass".....you might as well begin there and then move on to expanding your collection as the big money flows in.

How do I know that the $$$ will soon be streaming through your door?? Because EVERY bass player has more money than they know what to do with. We'll go without shoes or a shirt on our back...but we have to keep expanding the number of basses that we own. :^>)

Bass-ically Yours,
    Rich Briere