Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Key?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BaroqueBass, Dec 17, 2000.

1. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    My favorite keys to play/write in are C,C#D,E,A minor.. and C,Eb,F#,Bb,B major. E-minor is my all time fave though.. it's the bestest.

So what keys do you like/identify with?

2. Brook

Brook

Sep 24, 2000
    I play most of my school stuff in Bb major( I think) and E major or minor

3. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Eb. Minor or Major. I'm just so stuck in that key from playing in Stage Band. It's only level I, so we've got to accomodate the horns... that means flat keys. =) I just prefer Eb because for some reason I like to play the note Eb rather than a natural E.

But why do I get the feeling that this thread is gonna be assaulted by some old timer (Ed, I know you're out there) who's gonna tell us that we need to be equally proficient in all keys. Which is true, of course. =/

4. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I'll play.

On bass, G minor. On tuba, Ab major on a BBb horn and Bb major on a CC horn (for me, tuba isn't really an improvisational instrument, so we're mainly just talkin' fingerings here). On keys, D minor (because "it's the saddest key").

I prefer the sound of minor over major any day though. And just because you prefer something shouldn't imply a lack of proficiency in other things. But I do try to practice my least favorite things FIRST and my favorite things LAST. It's amazing how once you become good at something you didn't like, you suddenly start to like it. Of course, then you have to start practicing something ELSE you don't like...

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    my favorite key is B-sharp. i mean... um... dammit.

actually E minor or G minor, unless i'm playing keyboard, annd then its C all the way! mmm... white keys...

6. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    You can definitely see bands out there favoring certain keys and modes/scales. It gives them their "sound." For example Metallica (E-minor) or Ozzy or Judas Priest. Not to say they don't use other keys, but they definitely favor certain keys.

7. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Lump: I actually like minor keys alot, too. More specifically, I just love playing Dorian scales. The sound is just so neat and... jazzy. Ya dig? When it comes to play DB for orchestra, I also like D minor, actually. I don't play any keyboard instruments, really, but most of the orchestra stuff we play in D minor just sounds cooler than, say, D major. Stupid sharps. =)

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    My fav key is G minor..I don´t like sharps

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i tend to favor aeolian mode, of various keys, when i write our music, for some reason.

10. F# minor. if we are talking modal i like locrian and aeolian i also like dorian for funk tunes because it give me a nice maj. 6 to minor 7 hammer on. and phreaky you posted that you like G minor because you don't like sharps is that because you consider it Bb and Eb?

11. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Furtim, WWJD? He was quoted as saying the answer to life was"the blues in F" My personal fave is C (4-string) and E (5-string)

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I don't have a favourite - but one of my favourite things about playing bass is that it doesn't matter what the key is and it's very easy to transpose - I started music by learning the clarinet and hated this!

I do prefer playing pieces that go through several key centres and if we're talking about symphonies, I like the idea of progressive tonality and also using other scales and temperaments in orchestral music. I think my favourite piece for this is the Tuarangalila Symphonie by Messiaen, where you can actually hear different parts of the orchestra playing in different keys and sometimes unusual scales, with micro-tonality as well. But it doesn't sound "wrong".

13. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Hey Bruce, do you ever go to the BBC Proms?

14. "D minor... the saddest of all keys.." :D

15. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    "It's a Mach piece."

16. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - I have seen the Turangalila Symphonie performed by the BBC Symphony Orchestra at the Proms - fantastic experience, so much percussion! At points, I'm sure it was louder than rock concerts I've been to and the Ondes Martinot is a very "eerie" sound live.

I haven't queued on the night and stood up at the Proms though - I always booked tickets in advance. So I'm probably not considered a real "Prommer"!

17. This is something I've been thinking about.
    We usually end up in Db, Bb, Eb, and Ab. However, the keyboard player usually has his keyboard transposed to some random key, so we end up playing in all the keys.

On this note though, I don't like keys that have open strings in the scale. I like to fret all my notes ... makes transposing easier.

Later.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Well if you have a 5 or 6 string virtually every key has at least one note that is an open string - doesn't mean that you have to play them as opne strings though - there are always alternatives! ;)

19. I dont believe the title of this thread. Is it a piss-take? No key is easier or harder than any other, so why should there be favourites? OK, if you're sightreading, it's a bit more difficult to read Gb or E than Bb or C, but for playing, the scale shapes are the same for all keys. Sound wise, a minor is a minor no matter what key it is, it still has the minor tonality. Sorry, I must be missing something here.

20. Bruce Lindfield

Well actually I was tempted to say something like this - but I worded my post so as not to be "inflammatory" - I just said that I liked the fact that it is easy to play in any key. I felt like I'd had enough arguments recently. ;)