1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Favorite King Crimson Lineup

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Petary791, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Greg Lake Period (ITCOTCK, ITWOP, etc)

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. John Wetton Period (LTIA, SABB, Red)

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. Tony Levin Era (Discipline, Beat, TOAPP)

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. Trey Gunn Era (Thrak and everything else on)

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It's really tough to pick between the Levin and Wetton area, but I gotta go with Wetton. It's just so dark... and it has a violin. Violins own.

2. for me it's between Trey Gunn and Wetton, but i picked gunn, because that fits more of what i am playing ATM

3. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Unfortunately, as much as I love KC, I'm not that familiar with the pre-Levin lineups; I've heard some, but not much. So that leaves 80's, 90's double trio, or now.
    The only Crimson I've seen live is the current lineup, and they kicked major A! 80's lineup I've only seen on the Neal & Jack & Me dvd, and I wasn't all that impressed (although the Frejus section was great); and I never saw the double-trio live.
    So...I'd have to say the current lineup gets my vote.
    Sorry my answer is so long; I like to hear myself type. :rolleyes:

4. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Oops...should've read it closer! Didn't realize you were combining the double trio and the current lineups. Doesn't change my answer, though.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, maybe I should've separated them.

Can you point me out anything that Trey Gunn does on Thrak (or any other KC CD for that matter) that is super cool? I see both of the guitarists and Tony, and I see Trey tappin a way, but I can't pick out anything cool, let alone any sound at all. :help:

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

"Discipline" is enough reason for me to choose the Fripp - Belew - Levin - Bruford lineup.

7. Wetton era. This music really is symbolic of their name sake a Crimson King ....something of evil perhaps......:D

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wetton, no question.

Actually, to be honest, a lot of the 80s stuff pisses me off. It gets waaaaay to cheesy sometimes. How Fripp could move from RED to Discipline (I don't care how many years) is beyond me. Belew yelling about a painting he keeps looking at isn't cool to me: Indiscipline, despite the cool music.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I LIKE IT!

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Aw dude! Fripp-Levin-Bruford-Belew is the stuff!

Think about it. A seriously rock solid rhythm section underneath simultaneously the most right-brain guitarist in the world and the most left-brain guitarist in the world.

That's just amazing. Granted, Adrians' vocals got bizarre sometimes. The lyrical content was bizarre most of the time. But the music, man. The music!

Fripp. Levin. Bruford. Belew.

No substitute.

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm guessing Fripp was the left-brainer and Belew was the right-brainer?

I love how they're such polar opposites.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What surprised me in watching their DVD's is how many of the leads I acredited to Mr. Fripp was actually the fretwork of Mr. Belew. He's a really great soloist and can play some damn tricky stuff while singing.

13. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Ooh.. Tough call... I like both the Levin and Gunn eras equally...

Can't wait to hear what the new Crimson will sound like!!

:hyper:

14. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    The THRAK cd was split--Belew, Levin, and Mastellotto on the right; Fripp, Gunn, and Bruford on the left. Isolate your left or right channel and you'll hear it. Like on the Who's Live At Leeds--Entwistle's all the way to one side, Pete to the other. I've been meaning to re-record mine with Pete turned down a bit. :bassist:
    I got bored one day and recorded each channel of THRAK onto seperate disks. Gets really f'd up when you play both at once, only one a second or two behind! :eek:

15. I'm pretty split between the Levin and Lake eras. I went with Levin, simply because I love Discipline and am listening to it right now. :)
    -Alex

16. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    :D

17. juanete

juanete

May 15, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Levin all the way!!:bassist: :bassist:

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So I decided to learn how to play "Three of a Perfect Pair" on guitar today, and holy God, how can he play and sing this at the same time? I can hardly play it let alone both at the same time.

19. Love them all but I went with the guys that started it all. Greg Lake was there at the birth.

20. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I just cracked open the old stuff and wow, I want a saxamaphone in my band pronto. "Pictures of a City" is one of King Crimson's best songs IMNSHO.