1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Favorite Martin Luther King Jr Quotes...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AfroCubanFunkMa, Jan 16, 2012.

1. In America, it's a day to remember the man and his life's work for justice.. What's your favorite MLK quote?

"If we are to have peace on earth, our loyalties must become ecumenical rather than sectional. Our loyalties must transcend our race, our tribe, our class, and our nation; and this means we must develop a world perspective." (24 December 1967, Atlanta, GA)

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I could not find the quote, but I remember hearing a speech of his where he said that integrating a water fountain or allowing someone to vote did not cost any money, but achieving true equality would require major investments.

My biggest problem with King commemorations is that it is so easy to reduce him to the 1963 March on Washington speech while ignoring the rest of his career, especially the last period between 1965-1968.

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I can't remember it exactly, so this is a paraphrase, but it goes something like this:

Many people say they love the human race in general, but they don't show love to any person in particular.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsNuyoB0zhweOhLIrCohGuRDUEyIxwNiodjyscdUK9ZpSyZW2cOFZjOO4jOQ.

5. While it's true that there is a lot more to MLK that just the March on Washington, the words he spoke there were especially powerful. I personally am fond of "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.". True words of wisdom that I try to live by, but, alas, being human, I fail to live up to at times. Anyways, Wikiquotes has a selection of MLK quotes.

Martin Luther King, Jr. - Wikiquote.

6. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.

7. <sarcasm> I wonder why </sarcasm>

"I oppose the war in Vietnam because I love America. I speak out against it not in anger but with anxiety and sorrow in my heart, and above all with a passionate desire to see our beloved country stand as a moral example of the world." (25 February 1967, Los Angeles, CA)

8. ROFL!!!!! And here I thought MLK wasn't a funny dude :D.

9. Sorry Kwesi, I don't see the humor in poorly photoshopped images degrading what the man died for.. YMMV.. :rolleyes:

10. This. ^ :rollno:

11. Would it help if they were photoshopped more skillfully? I don't deny that my standards of photoshop quality for humorous application are quite low :D.

Also, I fail to see how these are degrading. Dreamsicles are delicious and the Dreamcast was a FANTASTIC console. They only further the idea that MLK was a man of good taste.

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    No one is beyond the scope of humor.

13. I'm sitting here as I type this watching a special on Dr. King's life. The man paid a whole lot of dues for you to have the ability to sit behind a computer and I think you (especially as a young man of color) ought to be more respectful.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Why a negative response to my post? You asked for favorite King posts, and I mentioned the King statement I most remember.

To me, King Day is not about patting ourselves on the back, it is a great time to remember how much work still needs to be done.

15. Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness.

- Martin Luther King

16. I think you ought to lighten up. No one here is challenging his contributions to society. I bet you don't like Jesus jokes either, eh? I suppose we should go ahead and stamp this right here:

[​IMG]

17. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I could be wrong, Doc, but I think he was agreeing with you. I understand the sarcasm to mean King's anti-war statements get swept under the rug by those who don't find them appealing.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I hope you are right. I can't see the sarcasm smilies on my phone.

19. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Posted this on Facebook this morning:
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." - MLK

20. He's right Doc.. I'm agreeing with you :cool:

Kwesi, I'm not against fun.. the image that bugged me was the FAIL image with the spelling of DREAM photoshopped to make black folks look stupid.. Sorry man, that's some racists cheap trick IMO..