Favorite Maynard Ferguson moment?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Oct 10, 2003.

1. All his stuff is great, but one of my faves is the end of the star trek theme. I love that note!

so, whats your favorite?

2. I saw them about 1990. Great band, kickass young musicians.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The intro to 'Gospel John'

-robert

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Maynard is the man..he is the only thing that still makes the trumpet cool.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Ozarks
    The Superbone solo on Theme from Shaft.

6. I second that solo!

;) Treena

7. Maynard...oh yea, one of my faves...

He did a great version of "Gonna Fly Now" (the Rocky theme), killer ending.

And a great version of "Birdland", killer ending once again...

And a nice version of "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy"...

Yeah. Three-way tie. :bassist:

8. what I also like about his stuff is, the bass playing, I'm not sure who plays bass on his stuff (I assume it's more than just one guy) but there is a lot of awsome bass tracks.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Earlier this year i saw an interveiw of him where he also played some stuff, i was about 7-8 feet away and he was nearly launching saliva on me. He was also sober, which was cool. I saw his concert the next day and that was really cool. But i think i only really have to see maynard once. I really like his version of rimsky-korsakov's "Scheherezade." (sp?)

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    His cover of "Spinning Wheel" in 3/4 time.

11. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    There is a spot in "It's the gospel truth" where there is like two bars where the horns play this sweet triplet run right into a killer sax solo, that moment is pure nirvana.

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Cajun Cookin, all 7 moments of it ;) :cool:

13. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I've seen Maynard about a dozen times. Best shows I saw had both Gregg and Matt Bissonette in the rythym section. Also saw a few shows in the 80's where Dennis Diblasio(sp?) played 2 baritone saxes at the same time. Pretty cool stuff. Favorite song is probably "Give it One", talk about a driving song.

14. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

He and his band came to my high school in '77, when I was a senior. My brother was first chair in the jazz band that year, and was beside himself that MF was going to be at our school.

He puts on a great show, and if you like REALLY high trumpet notes, he's your guy.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2021