Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Metal Bass Players...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tecx, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Personaly right now I would have to say Martin Mendez from Opeth, I mean the guy has style (he playes a Marcus Miller Jazz)... Plus he has some incredible lines, very complex and technical...

Alex

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    When this question comes up, it's always the same answer for me, Tony Choy of Athiest

....With Pete Perez of Riot/Spastic Ink coming in at a close 2nd.

:p

3. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    the dude from Cryptopsy

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sean Malone (Death, Cynic, Aghora, Gordian Knot, solo)

Doug Keyser - Watchtower, Retarded Elf

5. Caleb Scofield (sp?) of Cave In - some of his stuff is fantastic, and you can really hear him live (seen 'em twice).

The guy from Botch is really good too, but I can't remember his name, and I'm not at home so I cna't check.

6. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Right now I'd probably say Justin Chancellor - Tool and Martin Mendez - Opeth. They're not the chopsiest guys around, but what they do play fits perfectly with their bands.

P.S.; Been hearing a lot about this Tony Choy guy, anybody know where I can find a CD of Unquestionable Presence??!!

7. Cliff Burton, hands down. And Jason Newsted for stage presence. I've never seen anybody like him when he goes absolute nuts on stage...well when he had his hair :D

8. ditto on Cliff.

9. the best metal bassist of the 90's is definately r-uD of mudvayne. have you seen all the stuff about him in bass player and circus and all the other guitar mags?

in fact, he is the best metal bassist in existance.

spoken.

10. I second RuD and Jason(Just for keeping up with Kirk and James

RHCP is not metal in my opinion...but rock,so Flea has the Rock award,for me

-Jon:oops:

P.S RuD is the only one who can pull of the warwick,make-up,AND the up-high bass(strap)

11. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    Jason Newsted, Steve Harris and Steve DiGiorgio do it for me.

12. Yeah, once in the middle of the Foos tour (NME club night) and once a couple of weeks ago, their first headlining tour. Maybe they like Britain....:p

And Clutch! I'm gonna catch up with you.... got my ticket to see them today.

But Botch..... so I got into them after they split.....:(

Oh, and on topic, Pitchshifters' Mark Clayden has a fantastic sound, and no one's mentioned Timmy C. or RATM (and Audioslave) yet??

13. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    sorry man, they all kinda looked old... but I know, sorry..

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    http://medieteknik.bth.se/joba01/main.php

This link is pretty interesting, a review of a lot of metal bassists (most already mentioned here), the guy has some strange views on their techniques or maybe just his English isn't that good.

Has some tabs too - don't know if they're useful or not (yet).

15. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    Hehe , yes it does include me :)

Np: Dragonlord

16. Cliff Burton
    John Myung
    Mike LePond
    Thomas Miller

:bassist:

17. 1. It's not the 90's anymore...Mudvayne went mainstream in like 2002...lol...

2. I wouldn't say the best. Everyone has their own opinion, but I definitely say he is NOT the BEST metal bassist "OF ALL TIME".

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But Cliff is, apparently...

My favorites are:
    Christian Olde Wolbers
    Stever Cloutier
    Tony Choy
    Mike Macivor (even though I hate his tone),
    Eric Giguere
    Brian Cook
    Sean Malone (mostly for his work in Cynic)
    Steve Harris (gotta love old school)
    Clayton Ingerson

There are others, but these are the guys that really grab me...

19. Oooooooooh that looks neat. I'll have to check that out some more.

That looks pretty good - Michael Manrig's in there... How's it sorted though?

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As far as skills are concerned, I'd go with the RuD guy, but as far as lines, I really dug what the guy from Godsmack did.