Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

favorite metallica bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stanger503, Oct 6, 2003.

1. cliff burton

47 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. jason newsted

25 vote(s)
    30.9%
  3. robert trujillo

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. 1.cliff burton
    2.jason newsted
    3.robert trujillo

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cliff Burton for me.

(PS< i hate rob trujillo) He just,, doesnt fit the physical look of Metallica.

3. Viktor

Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Split,Croatia
    Well the thing they are very different bassist from each other.
    My favourite is Cliff Burton...but he's a chord playing plucking machine.(+ a headbanging animal)
    Jason didn't relly do his stuff...but he was a live freak!(love his live performance)
    Trujillo doesen't relly fit with them(by look)...he look's like he could play with KORN...His hear style and all that!But I can't wait to hear what is he goin' to do on the next album!

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Cliff hands down. Others stand in his shadow. He was my first bass hero (pulling teeth)... :bassist:

5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Sorry to go against the grain - ROB has chops that are insane. What does looks have to do with a bass player? You have to remember that Rob did not get to write the bass line to the new album. Have a listen to some Infectious Grooves then tell me about how he does not look cool.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Cliff was the ugliest of them all thats for sure! :bassist:

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I'm definately against the grain here. Jason Newsted was in my opinion the best for Metallica. He played the typical bassist role, by laying down deep, grooving basslines, and although he had no Orion or Anesthesia-esque solos, his bass ability is definately up there. Jason is the reason I play bass, the way he stays in the pocket, and merges Lars' and James' playing. In my opinion, Cliff was too melodic, too much of a lead player to play bass, he wanted to play lead bass and spent way too much time on the upper frets.

Now Rob, that's another story, he's a hell of a bassist, but he's not a good fit AT ALL for Metallica! -- And he looks like a gorilla!

8. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    I agree, Newsted would have to be my favourite. I think Cliff is fantastic, don't get me wrong, I loved his SOLOS - Although when is came down to actually playing behind James and Kirk, I found Jason's lines a lot more interesting and fun to play than anything that Cliff did.

9. Got to see Metallica with Cliff in 85 or 86 he was a monster live in the middle of the show he took center stage and busted out a killer bass solo. That was the Master of Puppets tour I believe.

10. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've loved his playing, and seen him live and he is a great player. He got me into bass before I even decided to take it up.

Cliff I like, but they brutalized him in the mix more then they did to Jason. He was a good player who was melodic, though something about it that didn't sit right... as if the rest of the band was like "Go Nuts!" and then slowly began to lower his volume from on the mixing table. With that said, I love his solo's.

Rob is an awsome musician, though I was really confused that he was the one chosen for Metallica.... I am looking forward to hear what a new cd would sound like with them now that they have Rob.

11. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Throughout the Metallica history, there has been only one "Metallica" bassist!

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Oh yeah, Rob's a bass monster, no doubt. He's my favorite bassist of the three... but my favorite Metallica bassist is Bob Rock.

*tries to hold back*

BWAHHHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAAAAAAHHAHAHAAAAA!

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Cliff.

I'm not a Metallica fan, but at least Cliff liked Thin Lizzy.

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ron McGovney :p

15. You beat me on that one! And where's Bob Rock? :D

Seriously, Cliff, Jason and Rob are three kicka$$ bassists. I like'em all (pun kind of intended).

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Jason is my favorite, I do think Metallica could of used his gifts more, you can barely hear Jason on any of their records. Anyone think Jason will ever play with Metallica again?.

17. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    of course in the metallica reunion for a copilation of the metallica greatest hits and a world tour

....your heard that?....

IT IS THE SOUND OF MONEY

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No. As an "employee" of Chophouse Records, I'm privy to his thoughts of playing with Metallica. He's moved on in life and found brothers in Voivod, a Canadian Thrash band that's been around since the eighties. Besides Voivod, his stint with Ozzy is a dream come true and he will ride that to the fullest extent, and perhaps with Zakk and Black Label Society in the future. Never know. On the side, Jason's Chophouse Record Label is a way to vent his other musical interests with projects such as Echobrain, Papa Wheelie, Filthy Young Impalors, IR8, Sexoturica and more. Jason is very happy doing what he's doing, and he was actually stuffing his own envelopes just after leaving Metallica. As a matter of fact, he mails me a new album each time it comes out on Chophouse Records.

And if any of you are huge Jason fans, stop by chophouserecords.com, I moderate the message boards over there and it's a great family feeling!

19. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Ok here we go!

Trujillo is an incredible bass player! The work he did with "Infectious Grooves" was true rob style....he should stick with what he does best...and it's not Metallica!

Newsted is also an incredible bass player! He did fit the Metallica mold but has done better work with "Flotsom & Jetsom". I'm glad he moved on to things he wanted to do. He needed to quit being the bass bitch for James & Lars!!

Burton was Metallica at their best! He helped make Metallica who they where! "Kill'em all, Lightning, and Puppets" where the metal albums to set the standards for many metal acts to follow!
    (Not to mention his death helped gave them more notability...R.I.P.)
    Cliff will always be my choice!!! :)

20. [​IMG]

I choose Jason Newsted.
    Rob just doesn't fit the picture..
    Cliff was great , til his tragic death. RIP, Cliff
    Caroline