Favorite Metallica Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by peaveyuser, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Cliff Burton

320 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. Jason Newstead

130 vote(s)
    24.8%
  3. Robert Trujillo

74 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Well plain and simple which one is your favorite?:bassist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jase all the way!

3. Metallica lost their "metal" after Cliffy.

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I gotta give it to Cliff - though Newsted is a close second. Trujillo ain't bad by any means but he came at a bad time for more "traditional" Metallica fans.

5. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    Cliff was their guy for all of the good stuff in my opinion. Jason Newstead gets on my nerves, and as talented as Trujillo is, I hate new Metallica.

6. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Im a newstEd man..

Great player, most underrated, both by fans and the band. Hes the reason i picked up bass. i do not particulary care for or hear the "brilliant" things Burton did, And Trujillo, well.. he might be a great player, but does nothing for me.

7. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Gotta say Cliff, although all the Metallica bassists has inspired me somewhat, it was Mr. Burton who made me pick up the bass, instead of guitar. That dude really proved to me that a bassist can do more in metal instead of just backing up the rhythm guitar, and be pretty much non-existant. ALL Albums that Cliff played on had a great bass frequency, and it did alot to the songs.

Cliff meant alot to Metallica, just look at how different Justice was from the 3 previous albums.

Long live the major rager on the 4-string mother****er, Mr. Cliff Burton, RIP!

8. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Newsted. Cliff was cool and all, but his tone ****ing sucks IMO. :meh: And I can't admire an ape. :p

9. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    I like Newsted and Trujillo as bassists, but in the context of Metallica there is no other greater than Cliff.

10. I can't decide.

I admire Cliff because he believed in what he was doing, he didn't care for the fame etc.
    He was humble too, practicing for hours a day when he was already in Metallica saying, "There's always someone better then me, in a garage somewhere, undiscovered"

I like Jason's stage presence and most of all, I admire him standing up for his rights when he left Metallica because he couldn't express himself enough in Metallica and Jaymz didn't let him have side projects. He also REALLY loves music.

Robert Trujillo, in my opinion, is perfect for Metallica IN THIS ERA. Their modern take (although not necessarily loved by "Thrash Metallica" fans) is complete with Rob really giving the songs a driving bassline. He also has respect for Metallica's history, acknowledging that he is a place that was once Cliff's and also respecting his band members for what they done in their careers.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Jason Forever!

12. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    metallica wouldn't be what they are (or were, rather) without Cliff.

newsted got the shaft. he's a great player, but he was underutilized. sucks for him. he deserved better, truelly.

Trujillo is great, but i'm not hearing his influence on the new stuff. i think he's getting a bit of the same treatment as jason. sad, really.

13. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    RON MCGOVNEY!!!!!

:p

14. erochelle77

erochelle77 This space for rent

Sep 6, 2007
    Jacksonville, NC
    While I love Trujillo as a player, I can't stand Metallica now, so I have to disqualify him.

I also enjoyed Newstead era Metallica, and respect him also as a player, but I have to go with Cliff in this particular instance. He was one of the reasons I picked up a bass in the first place, after all.

15. FB305

FB305

Sep 20, 2007
    Miami
    Cliff.

16. jackcregg

jackcregg Guest

Feb 25, 2007
    I voted cliff

But where was Ron McGovney?

17. Before Cliff.

While I respect all the choices due to each of their different styles, I'd have to say my favorite is Cliff. Once again, it was him the originally made me want to pick up a bass.

18. Iron Asperger

Iron Asperger

Mar 30, 2007
    Denmark
    Cliff is the only one worthwhile.

19. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    Cliff Burton...The major rager and the four string mother****er ! ! !

20. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    Bob rocks!