1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite Mic / Boom stands?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Jason Hollar, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I've had it with my cheapo / light-weight mic stands falling apart on gigs and my older, heavier "studio" stands with their worn out clutches!

I'm looking at possibly the Atlas / Ultimate / Tama Iron works stands.

I need three or four identical boom stands for regular gigs and the occasional project studio session.

They need to be black color with durable / non-scratch finish, light-weight and somewhat compact for travel, and heavy duty hardware!

What do you guys recommend???

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The K&M telescoping boom is my preference. I prefer tripod bases as they are more stable.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i have some older (40 years?) atlas stands of which 6-7 are still great, usable stands (live and recording use). but i'd have to go with Wasnex 's suggestion of the K&M pieces if i was buying today.

Aqualung60, Jason Hollar and Wasnex like this.
  4. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Ill have to check out the new K&Ms. I have several that are about 20 years old. They are quite heavy (to transport) and the clutches never seemed to get tight enough - they always sagged and felt like you had to over crank them. Maybe they’ve improved their designs - or maybe I got a bad batch.

5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    A mic stand has to have some weight for stability. I believe the stands with tripod bases are lighter than the stands with stacking bases. I prefer tripods for lighter weight and greater stability, but they are definitely bulkier when stored.

There was a period of time (20 or so years ago) when K&M stopped making the tightener with the T-Bar.

In my experience the booms from that era were difficult to tighten enough to prevent sagging. I have had this problem with pretty much every brand I have tried. I was thrilled when K&M reintroduced the T-Bar. I think we ordered a bunch of the T-bars and replacement clutches. But yeah, you do have to crank em down a bit if you use a heavy mic and extend a long boom to full horizontal.

Perhaps your old stands need some new parts K&M Replacement Parts | Full Compass Systems

6. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Hey that’s handy! Yes I’ve got the old dial style crank that never seemed to get tight enough. Looks the T Bar could be a direct replacement? Probably worth the couple bucks to see if I could resuscitate my stands.

They’re still heavy though!

Wasnex likes this.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the "resuscitation" happens with new round rubber grip pads in there! get those and the K&M boom will be so grippy you'll find yourself going easy on that crank so you can still move the boom at all.

if you like tripod bases and full-length solid booms then the tamas are the ones to beat. not even the fancy and pricey "iron works" versions, the regular ones are super nice and heavy duty, way beyond "on-stage" junk. they really do feel more like drum hardware than mic stands.

i don't like either of those things, so it's an atlas round base stand with a K&M telescoping boom on it for me. (after many years the boom part indeed started getting hard to crank tight enough to keep in place, with replacement rubber pads that was fixed 100%.)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    trevcda, Jason Hollar and Wasnex like this.
  8. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    ^ I appreciate everyone’s prompt advice. I am going to order the rubber pads and the T bars for my three KMs and keep them set up in the studio.

That said - still looking for more portable gig options. Thanks for the suggestions on the budget Tamas. Also considering the Ultimates as they appear to be pretty light weight and ergonomic. The Atlas booms look pretty gig worthy as well.

9. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    As I stated in an earlier thread once: K&M and Beyer (made by K&M).

Jason Hollar likes this.
  10. monkeyland

monkeyland Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    K&M makes a stand where the upright portion of it has an extra telescoping section on it. This allows it to fold down pretty small but it's still strong enough for most normal use. I have one that I use for bass gigs where I need a vocal mic and I really like it.

K&M 199 Microphone Stand - Black

This is the upright that I was talking about, they sell it with their compact boom included.

K&M 252 Mic Stand w/Telescoping Boom - Black

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Jason Hollar likes this.
  11. Another vote for the K&Ms. Replace the clutch parts on what you have. If you're really cheap and have the material it's not that hard to make them, but the kits are not that expensive to begin with. For portable gig options, K&M also makes three section stands and booms that pack up small enough to fit into average sized gig boxes and bags. Perhaps a little more delicate, but if you're taking care of your own gear they'll be fine.

12. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I’ve had good performance from DR stands. About the only thing I don’t like is that they are a GC exclusive.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  13. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    That's the kind of thing that might have many alternative sources that are a lot cheaper then the "specialized" item itself. Search around for rubber washers of the necessary ID, OD, & thickness. You may find a multi-lifetime supply somewhere for just a few bucks. Get yours paid for by selling off the surplus!

Jason Hollar likes this.
  14. I have a DR stand that has made it through 20 years or more. Getting hauled, knocked around and is still solid.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    In my sound co mic stands get some abuse. DR’s and Ultimates don’t cut it. The best in expensive stands I have found yet are the On Stage MS9701. Heavy duty and durable. I like these better than the K&M’s at a sub-$50 price point. Advantage to older K&M’s is that there is US distribution for parts.

https://www.amazon.com/Stage-MS9701...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VRZVFJMRPACQ1D4VW3QG

I have some older Atlas round base stands. We unthread the bases and 6 to 8 fit in a SKB golf bag case. They come in handy. The case has wheels which is good as it is a pita to move otherwise.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  16. 7bridges

7bridges Supporting Member

May 3, 2015
    SW FL
    Another vote for On Stage stands. I use the round cast iron bases, as they take up less stage room. Great for tight spaces.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  17. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I've broken/seen broken more knuckles on K&M-style booms than I care to count. FWIW, JB Weld holds 'em for a while.

I like vintage Atlas stands and booms. I don't know what the deal with the new stuff is but it doesn't feel "all there".

Jason Hollar likes this.
  18. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    K & M for me - - they last a long time and are solidly built. The Germans don't make very many bad products.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  19. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I have one recent (within the last year) of the K&M tripod stands and it is quite light. Not the cheapest thing out there but a solid, great, very stable stand.

If I decide to stay in the game and not bail on my current working band (that’s a decision where I’m leaning more and more towards leaving) the next one would be an Atlas. The weight is not that big a deal and I like American made stuff.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  20. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Jason Hollar likes this.