Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

favorite neck finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Feb 11, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    what do you prefer (and find have a difference in your playing), oiled, a satin finish, or a gloss/paint finish?

me, i love a satin finish. the paint i can't stand. which is what shied me away from considering a rickenbacker.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    what is the difference in an oiled, or satin finished? I have a tung oil finish on my carvin LB75F and it has a very satin feel. As for you not considering a rick, I took the lacquer finish of the back of my Jazz Bass's neck and it feels great.

3. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    the satin i think is a light gloss. oil and satin feel pretty similar.

id b too afraid to remove finish from a 1600 dollar instrument :meh: .

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have a few satin finished basses, and after playing them for about 6 months, the necks gloss up really nice in a smooth-fast no-drag kind of way.

My Dingwall has wax/oil based neck finish and it's been super...'flat' looking and feeling but just wood. Its also fast with no drag.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me it's satin or oil. Either way the result is pretty much the same.

Shy about sanding the neck finish off a Ric? I did it to my upright which cost even more ;) Worth it IMO, but YMMV.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    My bass has a painted, satin black finish. I think it's the same as the finish on the Bongo's neck.

It's a very smooth and fast feel. Gloss I can't stand. I've always found it too sticky.

Graeme

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I like satin -- nice compromise between the too-slick finishes on some basses and the too-sticky finish on my Ric. My Lakland DJ has just the right feel for me -- silky smooth.

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    My favorite neck finish is none.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Nitro on mine

Rob

10. satin, my KSD has it and my next custom jazz will too:)