1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite New Discoveries

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MRDOOM, Apr 19, 2010.

1. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    I searched the forums because I figured that this had been covered already, but since I found nothing, he I go.

Name some bands that you have recently discovered or rediscovered that you really dig. It can be anything, from classics to unknowns. Old or New.

Here are a few of mine

The Vines
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL_dI3GtB4o

And I dont know what took me so long to find these guys.(I realize that this isn't the original band, but theyr'e still great.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACtTXwLbHQ

2. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks to a fellow bassist, I discovered The Meters. Here's a pot-pourri :

If you like old soul-funk-Motown kind of thing, take a look.
    :bassist:

3. I've gone bonkers over julie slick's playing and sound. I love the paper cat stuff and I can't wait to hear her solo cd. I could kick myself for not going to see the Adrian Belew power trio when they played in Asheville a few months back.:crying:

I've rediscovered my love of Doug Pinnicks sound again too.

4. Thanks for that! Definetly going to check these guys out; awesome!

White Rabbits, The Dead Weather (I'd heard of them before but not much untill Coachella on Saturday.) Band of Skulls and Ra Ra Riot. I discovered all of these bands watching the Coachella music festival webcast, and I'm glad I did. Some great stuff!

Also, I didn't know that Jack White also played drums before watching that, and I'm glad that Jack Lawrence is taking care of the bass in this project. Switched from Ricks to Gibsons I see!)

6. funkout5

funkout5

May 19, 2009
    Suburbia, USA
  7. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    Hank Williams Jr and some Hank Williams Sr,

8. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Quite interesting.

Keep'em coming guys :hyper:

9. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    I like

10. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    aarktica - i think kind of U2-ish but i don't listen to U2 so that might not be a good comparison. they have some nice shoegaze elements i like.

final fantasy/owen pallet - solo project, i guess it's 'baroque pop.' i dig it.

grizzly bear - cool stuff. like folk elements in a very ambient/minimalist setting

split-notes releases, omega dub/golden hour. microtonal electronic music
    http://www.split-notes.com/music.php

11. Late last year I happened to be watching VH1 Classic. There was a show on the Britpop movement in the 80s and 90s and through this show I discovered:

The Smiths.

12. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Daft Punk! There live cd (Alive) is especially cool, as all their stuff is pretty repetitive, the mixes live make things really interesting. You gotta love the bass line to Around the World, too.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Not really a new discovery... but a bit of an obsession for the last year or 2.

Tina Dickow (Tina Dico in the USA)

There are many others I've discovered / rediscovered in the past year, but these 2 singers are what has stuck with me the most.

14. BB-414

BB-414

Apr 2, 2010
    Kiel, Germany
    I don't think this band is really "new", but I recently discovered them at a local blues festival.

A blues band from Cologne called "Get The Cat":
    You Ain't Seen The Best Of Me Yet

We were filming the whole festival for a local TV station called "Offener Kanal". Besides Get The Cat there was Lousiana Red, who play some tunes and a blues band, which played self-composed german blues songs.

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yeasayer: 2080. Ira is about the best bassist you are going to hear in modern indie music.

Washed Out: Feel It All Around. Chillwave.

St Vincent: Marrow

16. I am starting to like:

Mudvayne
    Disturbed
    Mastodon
    Children of Bodom
    In Flames.

I am starting to get into the newer metal scene. :)

17. bassman1987

bassman1987

Dec 1, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Lately I've been listening to a lot of:

mewithoutYou
    Derek Trucks Band
    String Cheese Incident
    The Fray (I know they're mega-popular, so I guess not really a "new discovery")
    Watashi Wa
    Flobots

18. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    Orianthi. I posted about her in another thread. I looked her up online because I liked the single on the radio and my Slacker App and wondered why she was on my "guitar station". I went online to find out which session guy laid down the guitar solos on "According to You," only to find out SHE played that solo, and she is a motherf$^&*!.

If she got the This Is It! touring gig with Michael Jackson and was discovered and mentored by Steve Vai, you know she's got the goods. Look for good things from her, as she has broad-based appeal that crosses over from us musicians to the general public.