Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite old time bass pic?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Greywoulf, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Attached Files:

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's a good one.

My fave is is on a ratty old T-shirt that I refuse to give up. It's a pic of Mingus, with his head encircled in a halo of cigar smoke, taken at Cafe Bohemia in 1955.

3. drumwoulf

drumwoulf

May 22, 2003
    Freehold NJ
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Did Mingus and Monk (Melodious Plunk) ever play together? I caught Monk once with a trio in a NYC club called the Five Spot; the bass player was pissed off because some people at a front table were talking away and not listening and he walked off in a fit and made a general commotion for a while until they calmed him down and brought him back after asking the people in front to cool it or leave. Now that I think about it, it sounds like it could'a been Mingus... :)

Greywoulf

4. Of course...there's that famous picture of Monk, Mingus ( with the carved head bass) Bird and I think Roy Haynes on drums!!! I also think this picture was taken at Mintons Playhouse.
    Somone who has this picture, please chime in and let me know if I have any memory left!!!

5. Apparently, Paul, the synapses are still firing okay:
    [​IMG]

6. Thanks alot Mike...it is encouraging!!

And thanks for posting the picture!! Maybe i'll be OK!

7. [​IMG]

not really my fave.. but my fave's cant be posted for some reason

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm sorry, but is that a walking bassline?

Har-dee-har-har.