1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Favorite on-board preamp

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RAM, Jan 5, 2003.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What is your favorite on-board preamp? I have limited experience with them and I see the list of good preamps is growing faster than I can keep up with.

2. I have always been a price driven consumer. I am willing to forfeit the latest and greatest for something cheaper cuz, well...I'm just that kinda guy :)

Since that's the case, At $79 I really like the Carvin preamp. 9v, 3-band, active/passive, pickup sweep, and some of the best engineered and assembled components you'll find anywhere. I installed one in a friends Samick fretless and the dang thing just came alive! I intend to use them on a couple of projects soon.

For the other end of the spectrum - the walletbusters - I can certainly recommend the J-Retro or R-Retro from Vintage Bass Trading Company - www.vintagebass.com. I've got one in my J and it's great. More features than a 12 screen theater with a girlfriend impressing $250 bucks required for admission.

Ultimately though, you won't really know what any particular setup sounds like until it's dropped into YOUR instrument. They will all do something different.

3. I have a Basslines STC-3p in my Yobias Pro-5 and STC-3mm in my warmoth Jazzman.

I have a bart HR 5.2 a/p in my carvin BB-70F. In order to replace a failed carvin preamp. The mid control ceased to affect tone, the bass control had it center in a very weird location. Didn't really affect what I consider to be Bass.

The bart preamp is the preamp in my opinion. But that's for fretless. It's so smooth and powerful. Did I mention powerful? It'll punch a hole in you if you let it.

But for fretted, that STC-3 (and variations of it) sounds great. Bass control has a good range, treble is best used to cut out or increase finger/fret noise if you want it. Adjust the mid control to bring out a slightly different tone. Pull up on the volume knob, and you bring up a different EQ that's preset by adjusting pots on the preamp. Mid cut and bass boost is dial in-able. It's called the Slap contour, but I ususally barely have the "Up" eq changed from "Down". I just set it so it's a mild mid cut with barely any bass boost. Just allows for slight variation. It's a good tool. Well made / very simple to install. One of mine had a ground soldered in with the signal path though, so took some trouble shooting to get it functioning properly.

I'd love a christina aguilar OB 3PO (Aggie OBP-3) preamp to try out in something. Looks like it should be a good thing.